Pregnant by Pull out method

@lijuea I don't get people bashing the pull out method. It's not 100% effective, and yes, you need to trust your partner to pull out (due to the lack of condom it's only really advisable in a committed relationship anyway). Unfortunately, nothing other than abstinence is 100% effective.

For 8 years it worked for you. It sounds like you didn't just get lucky for 8 years. It was effective for 8 years, and you only got pregnant previously when not using the method. That says to me it was working. The fact that it's not 100% is why you're pregnant now.

I used the pull out method effectively for 9 years with my husband. When we started trying to conceive , I was convinced we'd have problems, because the pull out method had worked for so long and people act like it's just asking to get pregnant, so there must be something wrong with one of us. However, we conceived no problem, the first month we tried. Again, pull out works, it's just not 100%, and should probably be used with another method if you definitely don't want to get pregnant.

I have friends who got pregnant on the pill. I have read stories about people who got pregnant with IUDs. Hell, my sister was conceived after my dad had a vasectomy.

The lesson of this post should be that Birth control is not 100%, not that the pull out method is a bad form of birth control, and that it might not be a bad idea to double up if you really don't want to end up pregnant.

@worshipdude Agreed 100%. When people hear that someone got pregnant with a copper IUD (and I've seen at least a dozen of those posts in the short time I've been subscribed to this sub), there's an understanding that they were unlucky and were the 1% that year. But when it's withdrawal, people react as if it's confirmation of their preconceived notion that it "doesn't work," not that they were unlucky and were the 4%.

In general I wish people would be less judgmental about very personal choices like contraception. When I was 23 I wanted the high level of protection of the pill, but now that I'm 33 and married it's more important to me to get to know my natural cycle before TTC than to have a high level of effectiveness, and so we use FAM with sponges or withdrawal at fertile times. My husband and I decided the sponge's 9% failure rate is an acceptable level of risk for us for a year (and actually, withdrawal is the more effective fertile-window method we use!). It's rude and obnoxious to tell people that their personal risk assessment and choice of contraceptive is irresponsible when you know nothing about their life, just because it would be for yours.

@mark58 The problem is that the 96% perfect use effectiveness is just an estimation and no one knows the exact numbers because no one has ever conducted a clinical trial on pulling out. So the typical use failure rate is only reliable statistic for this method.

Also, unlike other methods, it's much easier to screw up.

@mark58 You're just wrong:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3638203/#!po=11.7188

Most method failure rates reported in the literature have been calculated incorrectly and are too low (see the discussion of methodological pitfalls below). Correctly computed estimates are available for three fertility-awareness-based methods,12–14 the diaphragm,15 the sponge,15 the male condom,16–18 the female condom19 and spermicides.20 Estimates for the male condom, the female condom and spermicides are extrapolated from 6-month clinical trials based on the assumption that the pregnancy rate per cycle would remain constant throughout the first year of perfect use.3 The estimate of the proportion becoming pregnant during 1 year of perfect use of withdrawal is an educated guess based on the reasoning that pregnancy resulting from pre-ejaculatory fluid is unlikely.21–23 Estimates for sterilization and the implant, injectable, pill, patch, ring, IUD and IUS are based on extensive clinical trials with very low pregnancy rates.3

Notice which method doesn't have any clinical trials?

@adidan1 It went through the same peer-review process as the other methods. It’s similar to how they give men with MFI a yearly percentage chance of conception based on a semen analysis. It’s a perfectly valid, medically accepted method of assessing risk.

You’re just biased because you were in the 4%. That you personally got pregnant using it does not actually trump CDC stats.

@mark58 It's not the same process. Clinical trials give a better quality data than estimates, no matter what.

And the presence of sperm in precum hasn't been extensively studied.

@iessuman I love the phrase “fall pregnant” lol like I just tripped and oh look, PREGNANT lol but yes I get your point lol I am the 4% this year..should be an interesting story to tell my OB lol

@iessuman The perfect use statistics for pulling out are not based on data from clinical trials, unlike with other methods. The reason is simple - no one has ever conducted a clinical trial for pulling out. So the number 96% is just an estimation. No one knows for sure how effective it is with perfect use.

@adidan1 There have been studies on withdrawal, I’m not sure why you think no one would study it since many people use it.

I mean all effective rates are ‘estimates’ as you don’t have millions or billions in clinic trials - only hundreds or thousands.

@iessuman No, clinical trials are expensive, so you need someone to fund them. No one has funded a clinical trial on withdrawal because no one has a financial interest in doing so.

Perfect user stats for other methods are a result of clinical trials. There's a big difference between the estimating effectiveness based on a clinical trial and estimating effectiveness based on assumptions.

@adidan1 I’m sorry you want to put your hands over your ears. . . .

I won’t reply further as a mod Is suppose to educate users, not fight users.

@lijuea The pullout method is why my 2 children are 12 years apart. The first was planned, and birth was traumatic and damaging to my body, doc said it was unlikely I would be able to have anymore children, so we stuck with pull out thinking I was low risk anyway. 12 years later, surprise baby.

@lijuea I got by with being sexually active for 5 years with just using the pull out method for birth control but I eventually did get pregnant, I guess the luck has to run out sometime 🤷🏻‍♀️

@lijuea It might be better for your husband to get a vasectomy, it's a much easier procedure and it's more effective. He can even have it done now while you're still pregnant because there's a 3 month period before he's cleared to be infertile.

Back