Predaddit Needs?

richprocida

I asked a question/discussion at RAOA (Random act of amazon) about needs for new parents. I have complied a list of their comments. Thread from RAOA

Some of these are common sense, others however I had no idea about or didn't even think of. Maybe something for you and your SO to talk about or add to a baby registry list. I hope this helps!

(In no particular order)
  • Vaseline
  • The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips, and Advice on First-Year Maintenance
  • Boogie sucker
  • An abundance of onesies.
  • A Boppee pillow
  • A pack n play
  • A CARSEAT APPROVED BY THE HOSPITAL
  • Baby K’tan BREEZE Baby Carrier, Charcoal Grey Cotton Mesh
  • Baby mittens so they can't scratch their face
  • Moby/backpack
  • Burp cloths
  • Diaper bag. Get a backpack version (also they come in messenger style) Try them out to see what best fits @maxpaul
  • Swing
  • Breastfeeding pads (if you're breastfeeding).
  • A few bottles. Ex. Tommee Tippee
  • Sleep sacks. I cannot say how much I love these! Since my baby hates being swaddled, the sleep sacks keep him warm, and his arms free like he prefers.
  • Snoogle
  • Baby memory book
  • Lots of receiving blankets
  • Mylicon gas drops and infant Tylenol (or Motrin) on hand for middle of the night needs (UPADATE: You need Tylenol on hand for a newborn, not Motrin. Babies can’t have ibuprofen until 6 months old. @maxpaul
  • Dreft laundry detergent is fabulous for baby clothes
  • Zip from the Feet onesies. Not from the neck (Either or, whatever is more comfortable on your baby, just get one style to easy on confusion on how to dress your child @maxpaul
  • Cornstarch works wonders on diaper rash
  • Velcro swaddles were a lifesaver
  • Pillows for comfort as the little one(s) grow.
  • Frozen pea bags(life saver in 3rd trimester).
  • Boobs pads(shirt saver!)
  • Hydrating lotion because the skin can get dry.
  • For labor and delivery, cooler of food for both of you. If hospital doesn't provide cots for dad, bring one. Shower shoes. Flushable butt wipes... (@domascnn)
(if you want to add anything to the list, please let me know and I'll update it ASAP)

@richprocida Cool. We have skin allergies to contend with too. If you haven't tried Tide Free, I'd recommend. We've tried them all, as Tide Free seems to do a much better job cleaning than the rest. The Kirkland Free we found to be garbage.

@richprocida
  • The advantage of a messenger style diaper bag is it is much easier to get into one handed while wearing it and holding the kid in your other arm. So I would look at both styles and pick which one you like best.
  • You need Tylenol on hand for a newborn, not Motrin. Babies can’t have ibuprofen until 6 months old.
  • Zip from the feet and zip from the neck PJs both have their advantages. My advice is to get only one kind if you can, so you always know where the zipper starts and ends.

@nneye Young children are really dumb. "Mom it hurts when I do X!"

"So don't do X." Especially when x is something like trying to see how far a door can be closed with their hand on the jamb.

Babies? Even dumber. Stimulus response. Where response is either smile or cry. They don't even start to get cause and effect until after 2 months.

@nneye Brand new baby brains understand discomfort and pain but not what is *causing* the discomfort and pain. Ultimately, you just end up with a pissed off screaming baby with scratches all over its face. Baby mittens per say are silly. They make sleepers with the hands/feet built in that work just the same and I'm not above shoving socks on there if I need to.

@railreservation02
While some parents put mittens on their baby's hands to prevent scratches, Geller doesn't recommend it. "Babies need to feel and explore things with their fingers," he says. "It's an important developmental process." He does advise keeping your baby's nails short, either by clipping them or using an emery board. Babies are wiggly and their fingers are tiny, so wait until they're asleep or distracted with nursing or their bottle before attempting a manicure.

@nneye Internet being the internet, I'm sure there are conflicting articles out there. That being said, with my first, I kept her hands covered while sleeping just to cut down on the amount of times she would twitch and scratch herself and ultimately end her nap with yelling. Secondly, there's next to no way to keep those nails short for the first month. They grow like crazy and it doesn't take much at all to scratch delicate baby skin.