Pediatrician says I’m nursing my 4 week old too often - not sure what to do

@christopher000 Girl comfort nurse who the f cares. Yes if your baby gains weight too quickly they may delay crawling and walking and other milestones. But a baby only nurses for comfort and food and the comfort nursing can be really good for your supply too. If you're worried you could pump just before you nurse the baby or before the baby might want to eat, if you're able to, and that way the baby has to "work harder" for the milk so they might get less. But I wouldn't do this all the time since obviously they need to eat a lot. My baby is a chunk, like 95th percentile for weight and hight and our doctor said she's completely fine and it's fine that she wants to nurse all the time and that she eats through the night. And now that she's older it's leveled out to about every 3 hours maybe 4. But those first 12 weeks it felt like every hour they wanted to eat. It's totally normal. I'd look into getting a new doctor if you're able to, because it sounds like this doctor might be using outdated information and isn't keeping up with the times. Of course this is just my opinion and my anecdotal evidence but still. Let them nurse if they want to nurse. Also, you could try comforting them in other ways like rocking or maybe a pacifier, but I tried a lot of things with mine so they didn't comfort nurse and it only worked a small fraction of the time so after a month or two of being miserable I just accepted my role lol.

Back