Newborn Size Clothes are a Scam and Other Thoughts

@jerryklasic Yes. My chunky boy is 3 months old and wearing some 9 month clothes depending on the brand. He wore newborn clothes for about 5 days. That said my brother's last baby if 3 years old and is just now wearing 18-24 month clothes. So you never know what your going to get. Just go with the "you can buy more but you can't necessarily return" idea.

I must say though it would be nice if baby sizes where even remotely close to the same. I have 9 month onesies that are smaller than some 3 month onesies. I just don't get how they decide their sizing.

@jerryklasic One of my big pet peeves of parenting so far is how the clothing sizes are totally inconsistent and meaningless! My kid is wearing some 6-9 mo and some 3 mo clothes! It makes me nuts for some reason.

@jerryklasic They told me the day before i gave birth, on an ultrasound, that my boy was about 6lbs. He came out 8 almost 9 pounds. He grew fast too. So yeah, DONT buy newborn clothes!

Footed pajamas are always great. ZIPPERS ALWAYS.​

Do buy clothes that you like for kiddo. Not fancy outfits, but not things that are ugly. How cute your baby is is sometimes what gets you through the worst days.

Multipacks of onsises are nice.

Sizes dont always correlate with age. My son is 1, wearing 2t-3t clothes.

@jerryklasic My baby came out at 27 weeks really underweight (0.783 lbs). She has a long torso and short legs. So newborn rompers fit her really snug but with onesies she needs 50 to 56

@jerryklasic My first definitely went straight into size 1-3 clothes from birth--he was a big boy.

My second baby (full-term) wore newborn sizes for months. We had to go buy her more newborn-sized clothes because we didn't have enough to fit her and she stayed in them until she was 3-4 months old.

So, YMMV.

@jerryklasic My kid was born at 5.2 pounds and I made the mistake of leaning into that into idea of not needing many newborn clothes. My advice would be to have a small amount of newborn stuff, and then you can decide when the kid arrives if you have enough or need to purchase more

Back