Newborn Size Clothes are a Scam and Other Thoughts

@jerryklasic I disagree with the no newborn clothes rule, let me explain why. I had heard this advice, and after being told that I was having a big baby, barely had any. She was a decent sized baby, 8lbs 4oz, but she was swimming in the 0-3 stuff. I had a hard birth so we made do, but she would pull her legs into the 0-3 sleeper because it was so baggy on her. Most people have smaller babies, and I can't even imagine how ridiculous a 6 or a 7 pound baby would look in those clothes.

My second kid did skip straight to 0-3, but he was 10lbs 1oz, 23in long. Babies this size are not common, he was the biggest baby on the unit at the time, and all the nurses and doctors were amazed at him. He went straight to 0-3 clothes, and was in 3-6 at 5 weeks or something ridiculous.

I do agree with the gender neutral! We did this intentionally, and nearly all our baby clothes were neutral (barely got any hand me downs, and the stuff we did was mostly boys.) Our first was a girl, and our second a boy, and it was great not to need to get almost anything! I did have to get some season specific stuff, as he was born in a completely different season (she was winter, he was summer), but other than that we've been set. I was going to get some newborn stuff, but it became clear he was a GIANT, and there was no need. Only now that he's in 18-24 month clothes (he's 11 months, still a big boy) and I starting to get some for him. It was funny when we were pregnant and people would ask us if we're ready, since "you're having a boy this time!" And their shocked faces when we said YUP. I also put him in pink all the time, good cotton hand me downs are fantastic, and I'm not going to get rid of them just because they are pink and covered in flowers.

And to all those saying they had smaller babies, I think the point is don’t bet on having a tiny baby until you have said tiny baby. you can easily go back and get more NB sizes but you can’t take a lot of NB stuff you get before baby because you’ve washed it and taken tags off.

Best advice I have is get clothes you need as you need them

@creativecloud If you don't take the tags off and wash them, you can return them. And you have to wash them after the kid is born. If you wait, then you have to buy them, then wash them after the kid is born.

@jerryklasic Couldn’t disagree more. I listened to this advice with my son and didn’t buy any newborn clothes. He was born at a normal 6’12 and 0-3 was way too big. I had to run out and get a huge amount of newborn clothes right after having a baby and he was even swimming in them for a month or so.

Back