My supervisor didn’t say I was ok to take the day before my planned c-section off…?

@qork I would reiterate to them what your last day is. I wouldn’t even ask, but tell them “blank day is my last day before I go on leave”

@qork I had 2 surgeries last year and dealt with FMLA. Not sure if it’s exactly the same compared to mat leave but I had to be at the hospital at 4am that Friday and worked a normal shift Thursday, off at 6pm. The first week of my leave was paid for by my PTO, then once that was exhausted they started paying me through disability/fmla. This week of PTO was part of my 12 week leave. I thought it would be 1 week PTO + 12 weeks disability/fmla but it was 1 week PTO + 11 weeks disability/fmla to add up to my total 12 week LOA. Now I had a whole different weirdness when I was only back at work for a week before getting taken back out for another surgery so that’s irrelevant info but the first process was apparently standard.

@qork If you take off the day before your surgery, which you can absolutely do, your FMLA/maternity leave will start the day before surgery. You cannot concatenate PTOs with maternity leave/FMLA in most places in the US. PTOs, paid holidays, etc all run concurrently with FMLA/parental leaves. That's not weird at all, but the norm
Maybe your supervisor hesitated because you said you'll take vacation PTO before your leave starts?

@qork You could likely classify the day before surgery as FMLA and have the doctor certify that. HR can designate FMLA as payable with your PTO if they have a policy that or are willing to allow you to use PTO to cover it.

@qork I don’t know the rules in your state. But where I’m from there is forms your ob can fill out excusing you from work. Your OB will not hesitate writing for a day or even weeks before your C-section that you need to start using your FMLA, PTO, sick time etc.

Your boss is stressing because everyone that does your job is out. But that’s just not your problem. Wait until they say no if you want to make a fuss and not hurt your review. Best of luck.

Back