My kid is too smart for his own good seems like

These are the first 3 responses you would get from a medical.

I just quickly shoved them together.

Studying autistic or abused children also leads to the discovery of children with several layers of intelligence.

I don't mean to insult. This is something you need to consider as a parent.

Why is your child so smart?

@paradoxsolver No silly, lol I just added that he’d been evaluated b/c I’ve been asked that so to prevent that I threw that out there. Also I have asked myself that. That’s why it’s titled “my kid is too smart for his own good seems like” b/c I know he’s super smart, so smart he doesn’t want my help annnnnd I wanted help w/ that.

I do thank you for you’re response

@belyse If there are no issues with your kid at school, you might find them at home. His intelligence, and how often you compliment his intelligence, might give him an exaggerated ego. He might become a dick, especially in his teens.

Try not to focus on how good he his. Compliments, support, love, all great. But he still needs to learn.

What are the lessons he is still learning from you?

What lessons does he still need to learn from others?

@paradoxsolver True, so true. I’ll ease up a bit.

Forgot to add he’s very shy. What helps with that? So shy he doesn’t talk much. Only when interested.

I feel like it’s a confidence thing, could be wrong BUT it’s almost like he knows his words aren’t as clear as he wants them. So I’m like dude how will you talk clearer if you’re not using your words?

@belyse Autism is still my first guess. But I'm a random person on reddit.

With all intelligence, including autism, he needs to know limits.

The brain needs to know when the hand says the stove is hot.

How is you child given limitations to learn from?

@paradoxsolver Well he definitely knows hot from cold.

He says that about the oven when I open it “wow that’s hot”. As i said in the first post he’s very technical. He knows that he likes his food hot opposed to room temp or chilled, unlike some toddlers who prefer there’s in the fridge first.

He’s strong minded not autistic.

@belyse I don't want to push too hard on autism, but that sounds like an ASD comfort zone. And that is totally fine, people with autism can be much better than neuro-typical people.

What happens when you tell him no? Does he shut down, break down, talk over you?

How does your son handle limitations?

@belyse People on the autism spectrum are much better at understanding the people and world around them.

They lack in communication, and they have more anxiety.

But we are also talking about a 3 year old.

At this age, we can only ask the parent.

And my question is:

How do you give him limitations?

@paradoxsolver I set boundaries, I try to be a good example for him. Make eye contact so he knows I’m serious, I let him choose when there are options to choose from. The list goes on. I just kinda feel like no matter what I say to you, you’re going to revert back to him being autistic. You “don’t want to” but you are. Which is fine I’m not getting him evaluated a 3rd time.

@belyse I completely understand how you feel. And I am just some guy off reddit. I have never met your son.

But if a child grows up thinking they are great at every single thing, they will undoubtedly fail and fall hard, or hurt someone else with their ego. Or both.

Take autism off the table. Brush it aside for now.

You still need to let your son know when he makes mistakes.

And you have to put your son in situations where he will make mistakes.

He can be the smartest person in the world...but without humility, he'll just be a dick.

Back