My daughter failed 9th grade and I do not know what to do about it

@sparrowfeet Another reason I don't think the 5th year is a bad idea is because we won a lottery and put her in school very early. She's actually been younger than everyone else this whole time and she's struggled forever. I'm thinking holding her back would help her mature and maybe she could finally and actually get along with kids her own age.

@farmerdex Maybe the school she is in isn’t a good fit for her socially. Check into other schooling options you have around you.

One alternative could be homeschooling. Homeschooling can be very flexible, for example, giving her a year to work on something(s) that is meaningful to her, let her mature and see what happens with her attitude, then when she is ready use the local community college for “high school” (look at reviews and ask for opinions from the local homeschool community: quality varies A LOT between schools, and always check professor reviews on RateMyProfessor.com when picking classes). My teen is completing “high school” by getting an associates degree at our local community college. Your daughter might blossom with some more autonomy over her studies and her social situation.

@thislittlelightofmine I know from personal experience her HS is extremely competitive, clicky, and essentially like the Breakfast Club because it's the same school I went to and I had many of the same issues.

Home schooling is not an option for me, but you might be onto something there with the community college thing.. she's super smart and taught herself Dutch and German on her own. She can literally do anything if she wants it.

@farmerdex Homeschooling just means DIY schooling. It doesn’t mean you have to sit over her and watch her do things. I’ve known several working moms who have “homeschooled” their children. In fact, the community-college-as-highschool route is generally done as “homeschooling”.

@farmerdex This was me.

I told my parents for a few years that I am struggling with school and barely passed my classes. I ended up failing math and cheated to pass science and English.

I recommend a few things:

Tutoring
Alternative schooling
Summer school
Evaluate for learning disabilities

My son also had problems with focus and had issues in elementary school. So I found a charter school (K-12) that taught the best way he learned. He's an A/B student now that he's in a school that supports him.

@farmerdex Been there with my son. He liked staying home during COVID being an introvert with social anxiety. He graduated, but it was a constant fight, between missing school, and procrastinating. I got him a therapist and he wouldn’t talk😡 It is rough on teens right now, and being a teen was never easy! He is on medication for anxiety & depression. It has helped. He will be going to trade school in the fall. Hang in there.

@farmerdex I struggled very much in school like her. My parents got me a tutor which helped me alot. I stopped getting behind in classes. Which took away the anxiety and stress and made me a happier student.

@farmerdex 5 years of high school sounds like a disaster for everyone. What does she think the solution is?
Are there local options where she might be more successful? Also, I’d ditch the attitude with the ‘I am only paying for this once,’ for summer school. You may have a kid that needs summer school every year; I am sure it is as miserable for her as it is for you. You could always have her work and help pay for it.

@sparrowfeet She thinks she can do it, but she always comes up with these schemes to get by. Her action plans are always based on blaming her failures on external circumstances. Never once has she said, "I messed up, I'm going to do better for the sake of being better." It's always been someone else's fault, or the teacher, other students, etc.

I ask her what is the guarantee that you won't waste this opportunity. She's told me I have no leverage and that I just have to trust her. The leverage is the 5th year. The leverage is you get one....if you choose to not care next year you don't get another shot at walking in 2025.

What other options do I have?

@farmerdex It is really hard to see our kids in their big bodies with their big kid brains operating at a big kid level. Have you read much about teens? It helps me to realize that most of the super frustrating teen behavior is pretty normal —
Poor planning/judgement, narcissism, lack of gratitude, black/white thinking, etc. They look so big, and yet they still need calm, patient guidance. I was great at this when my teen was 2-13. After that, turns out not so much!!

And they need to make some of their own mistakes. I struggle on the daily to be that calm, slightly detached parent, and my teen will be flying the nest here in Aug. I’d recommend getting some support for yourself — raising teens is no joke, especially if you are doing it solo. You sound really mad, and I get it — teens can be SO infuriating. But getting some regular perspective to help maintain your relationship and keep you sane is important. I wish I’d gone to therapy sooner to help keep ME happy. ✌️

@farmerdex It is incredibly emotionally challenging, even if you have a reasonably ‘good’ kid. Easy to get sucked in. It helps me some times to think of them as a toddler — and sometimes their thinking isn’t so far off that. There is so much pressure on them, and they are navigating a lot. I have to constantly remind myself that my son is only about 3/4 done maturing cognitively. (They say 25!) so, at 15 your daughter is behind even that. Just because they’re so much bigger/older than what they were, doesn’t mean they’re grown up. Also it would help if they were cuter and more agreeable, ha ha

@farmerdex I would do summer school and track her progress closely. Do not trust what she says is happening. Hopefully your school now uses Google Classroom thanks to the pandemic and you can see assignments and whether they've been completed.

I would do the same with schooling in the next year. Hound her to completion, and assist her understanding where necessary.

Homework comes first when arriving home. No fun stuff until it's completed and reviewed by you. Start talking to her teachers and get those communication channels flowing.

Back