Kid turned 1. What’s next?

@docwriter I have mixed feelings. I try not to lean on screen time too much, but at the same time I don’t track it as long as we’re also getting out doing other stuff.

We just finished up a massive typhoon. Obviously any worries about screen time went straight out the window. Literally all day stuck inside.

@madalenesee007 Ok. Yea wow glad y’all made it through a typhoon.
Yes exactly. My kids are outside at camp for 40 hours a week. My one daughter tracks her steps. She’s close to 20k every day. A couple hours of her watching her shows is fine by me.

@docwriter Same. We are a TV family I grew up with it always on. I feel like so long as they don't do that all day long it ain't bad. I usually give my kid a solid hour or so watching what they like while I work/get errands done then try to play and take her outside for some sun. Been going just fine for us.

@docwriter We also didn't have a choice in what we watched, today's tv is largely streamed, or if it's cable, then there's also in-demand options. Kids can target all kinds of random stuff.

@stassit Just want to offer the general advice there are no magic bullets in parenting. If it was as simple as TV vs no TV things would be a lot easier. Being the best version of yourself is whats important. Losing your job (or your temper) instead of that 2nd hour of Sesame Street will do more damage than screentime ever could.

@stassit Just want to offer the general advice there are no magic bullets in parenting. If it was as simple as TV vs no TV things would be a lot easier. Being the best version of yourself is whats important. Losing your job (or your temper) instead of that 2nd hour of Sesame Street will do more damage than screentime ever could.

@stassit I'm still at 0 TV with my 18 month old. It's a lot easier for us than most as she is at daycare for 8 hours a day while we work and they do TV.

If you're looking for other activities to do instead of the TV, I'd suggest something as simple as bringing them outside.

Doesn't even have to be to a park but just walking around. Little ones are so enamoured with everything around them even cars and buses that just exploring with them is a lot of fun.

BTW, I'm not saying TV at this age is good or bad, I'm just advising of my circumstances and hope that helps.

I'd be a bit more concerned on the eating solids but I'm not sure where you're at. Because if they're 1, the milk should be slowing down quite a bit and solids pick up the slack.

@stassit I did zero TV until age two, and for all of age 3 I limit it to 15 min/max.

Here is my current schedule as a SAHD with my now 3 YO, but it was similar to this starting around 15 months old. Especially the dinner-bedtime part- that has not changed since she was about 13 months old:

7am I wake her up if she still sleeps. Cook breakfast together, read books, cuddle, play with toys

10am hike/walk/swim/play in snow/play in rain puddles/go to playground/go to something out of doors OR indoors like a trampoline park or free museum/library

12pm lunch where she helps me cook/prep and then help with dishes from the morning, sweeping, etc.

12:30/1pm laundry/tidy living room/tidy her bedroom etc./fold clothes etc.

1:30pm nap for an hour

2:30pm wake her up, go to library/aquarium/local farm/river for swimming/thrift stores for clothes/running errands/ stay inside if we were tired/lazy and do flash cards/reading/building blocks/art projects/ 15 min MAX of tv/ magnet building and more!

4:30pm dinner prep together, 5:30pm eat

6:30pm bathtime, teeth, books

7pm lights out, cuddles, bedtime

@divinelife Oh my god this is exactly what I need.

Flash cards eh? What do you do with the flash cards? How young did you start? I have a bunch of blank ones in my office for my German lessons but I’m curious if I can start a 12 month old on something.

@stassit I started flash card around... 15 months? Maybe earlier? Whenever she started showing interest in identifying animals, as those are what I started with.

But basically, before she could even tell me what was on them, I would use them like a book: "This is a cow. Cow's say "moooooo". The first letter of cow is "c". Can you say "cow?""

Things like that.

Then when she started engaging, I upped the difficulty. As soon as she was frustrated, bored or annoyed I stopped- i never forced it as that is not helpful either.

I just made them a regular part of our daily routine, and made sure (and still do) to keep it fun, light hearted and engaging- lots of silly noises etc.

She will learn in school, I am just trying to hang out with her, have fun, and make it mildly educational.

@stassit We allow TV within reason. My 4 year old now after an hour will say “That’s enough Mickey”. We’ve basically trained her that enough is enough. I think this is healthier (but who knows, we’re all winging it). Makes me think of the sheltered kids who get to college and start getting blackout drunk because they weren’t drinking Mikes Hard Lemonades in high school.

@stassit Hey man...I wonder the same thing about mine.

I struggle with letting my kid just be a kid and grow and explore at his own pace, versus spending all day teaching him. I get it's our job to raise functioning non-AH people. I'm primary parent 5 days a week. He's almost 10 months and our day is spent is 3 hour spurts (between naps / bedtime) where I let him climb all over me or I follow him as he crawls all over the house to keep the daredevil from getting into trouble, or I try and teach him to stand / walk. We practice solids...he struggles with solids - kid gags on everything unless it's puree, even puffs...but alas we keep trying. I read him books and make a whole production out of it...and he loses interest after page 2.

I catch these insta stories of parents and how successful / advanced their kids are ...and I'm just like...F off. LoL. My kid won't stay in one place. We catch maybe 15-30 min once a day of Ms Rachel where I do all the songs/motions/teachings with him before he's bored and onto the next thing. The rest of the day I just basically do what MS. Rachel does in her vids for language or clapping or whatever. He gives me attention for 10 seconds max before its "throw the toys over the playmate" time.

I feel ya.

@stassit when your kid wants to watch movies, allow it in moderation. consider turning on subtitles; subtitles seemed to help my kids pick up reading on their own.

with my kids we tried to steer them away from the computer generated youtube content that kids seem to gravitate to. most of it is creepy and no lessons to learn.

@stassit So I’m a guy that likes to come home after a long day and watch tv. My job is high stress and I have no time to decompress, but with having an 18mo old I felt very guilty about this. What I reas academically is that the bad part of screen time is when it’s used as a replacement for human interaction. What you’re doing is definitely replacing the interaction, but using screen time to get some chores done or to decompress is where I’d say that it’s absolutely fine.

The problem is that “to replace human interaction” is subjective. So you have to be very aware and deliberate of why they’re watching TV. Is it because dad needs a break or do the dishes? Cool. Is it because you’re bored…then maybe pic a different activity.

Back