is my girlfriend pregnant?

joshteo

hey guys, my girlfriend is currently 11 days past when she was supposed to get her period. We took one test 4 days after her missed period and it was a clear negative, and we took another test yesterday, 10 days past her missed period and it was also a very clear negative. The last period she got was the last week of May, and the last time we had sex was before that, so mid May or the beginning of May. That would put her AT LEAST 6 weeks past conception, she has it logged on her phone the last time we had sex was May 7th, but we could have had sex after that we just don’t remember. there’s a very small chance we had sex right after her period ended, but I really don’t think we did. So the last time we had sex was around 8 to 5 weeks ago, but most likely in the 6 to 8 week range. That would also mean the last time we had sex was before her last period, so if we conceived before her period in May, wouldn’t she have missed her period in May? it’s also worth noting she takes pill birth control, Sprintec, and she stopped taking it after her last period, so maybe stopping her BC messed up her cycle? I don’t know. My girlfriend left to go stay with her family for the summer beginning of June, that is why we haven’t done anything the whole summer besides beginning of May. I haven’t seen her. She only has one pregnancy test left and would be unable to go purchase any more until she comes back home, so i’m worried maybe we just aren’t waiting long enough to get a positive test yet, but i’m not sure. Does anyone have any ideas for what could be going on?

@rjl i hope so. could stopping birth control cause something like this too? she’s been having some cramping but no period, which make me think maybe she is pregnant, because why would she be having cramps but no period?

@joshteo Yes stopping birth control can have an affect on her menstrual cycle. Cramps don’t mean anything, it’s normal to experience them.

@joshteo I was in the same situation as your girlfriend. Last time I had sex was May 4th and I hadn’t had my period since May 18th. I had taken multiple negative tests. I got my period 10 days late. Sounds like if she’s cramping she may just be getting it soon. And yes stopping BC can mess up your cycle, it’s happened to me

@kendraw i hope so, it’s nice to hear someone else was in a similar situation! gives me hope she isn’t pregnant. She’s 11 days late now though, which is super worrying….

@lostescape okay cool, what about if she started taking her birth control again? the only reason she stopped was because we knew we weren’t gonna see each other for a few months, so there would be no sex. I don’t think she realized stopping it would cause irregular periods and neither did I. If she started taking it again now, would things go back to normal? or would it be better to just stay off of it for now and wait for the period to come? sorry, I understand you aren’t a doctor, she is just unable to go to the gyno until she comes back home so asking people on here is really all I know I can do.

@joshteo Both starting and stopping birth control can cause irregular periods for a bit. I’ve stopped and started several times and each time I have a couple irregular periods before things even out. It’s even caused me to skip a period before. It’s normal and no reason to worry! Like others said, a test is definitive after 3 weeks. Try not to stress!