I hate this place

@saved_for_life I am a mental health clinician. Technically HIPAA only covers what we as providers can and cannot share without the patient’s permission. So if OP signs a Release of Information her doctor is allowed to share anything she agrees to with her husband’s employer. If it were a mental health inquiry I would discourage specifics like that unless they can show why it’s necessary but I am not sure of ethical standards for OBGYNs.

@biancaho It’s just absurd that HIS employer needs to know HER medical specifications, ya know? That’s what’s making it seem like a violation to me cause like she doesn’t even work there but thank you for the info!

@saved_for_life Yeah it’s confusing. She has to be the one who signs the release, but if she does that it’s fair game. However, I wonder if employment laws allow for such a bold request. It seems way out of line to me but that is definitely out of my scope.

@leann1005 This is why voting is so important!

We need to use our power to stop this shit.

Also, teaching each other tips & tricks.

For example, they are legally obligated to set up a payment plan for as little as $5/mo if you ask.

And did you know that if you ask for an itemized bill then your bill will magically shrink?

This used to be my job and seriously, if I had never happened into this career I have no idea how a person would/could learn this stuff.

We use a high deductible plan and save so much money but that’s not feasible for some families.

It’s a rigged system. VOTE!

@tasteofhisgrace Soo much this. Especially after today’s tragedy. Bad healthcare, terrible gun laws… I am so eager to vote because I just feel so helpless and sad sometimes, but knowing my vote will be so important from here on out I just need to cast that fucking ballot.

For those who may not love all the options, it’s not about voting in “the best candidate/party”, it’s about keeping the worst and most dangerous party out.

@ruff24 Yes and it’s also about taking small steps toward progress. I just voted for mandated maternity leave last year in colorado and it passed. It’s still shitty and I won’t be able to take advantage, but it’s a small step toward what we really need. An inch closer is better than not at all.

@tasteofhisgrace Sending love from Canada - I hope this issue can become a major talking point for you. Those of us from other countries just can't wrap our heads around your system and don't understand why people aren't making a bigger deal of it!

@dimmuborgir Sadly neither side in power have any interest in fixing the issue, and it's been such a big and constant problem for so long I think we've just kind of...become used to it (as a society). A huge part of the problem is insurance companies, and they loooove to lobby against any type of reform.

@st90ar Respectfully disagree. This is the exact sort of thing Democrats wanted to end when they passed the Affordable Care Act. Republicans hate how it affected big business, so they stripped down the essential parts, leaving individuals vulnerable.

Vote democrat.

@tasteofhisgrace Not only do do you need to vote in your big election in November, you need to focus your energy on voting for your primary candidate. That is where we get real change.

Vote in the candidate who is actually looking to make the change you are looking for and consider voting out your state or local incumbent.

That is how we prevent Manchins and Sinemas.

@leann1005 Does insurance cover most of the hospital stay? I am only 4 weeks and originally from
Europe , so I’m scared. I recently had a 2k emergency room bill for a peanut allergy reaction . I was there for only 2-3 hours.

@katrina2017 That depends on the actual insurance you have and what kind of coverage. Because insurance is mainly based off employment in the US, some companies offer better options than others. Mine for instance covered 80% of my stay. I was there for 3 days and my LO had to have light therapy for jaundice.

It can also depend on the hospital and what they charge, in terms of what is covered. It’s the worst.

@mab_0n3 And isn’t 80% considered good?

I was (and still am) under 26 and in school, so my dads covered my entire pregnancy and the birth. We paid under $300 total because they billed the insurance that covered her birth, but it wasn’t the same as her individual insurance.

I have tricare (military member and spouse), so all of her infant care is covered through that. I just paid the bill rather than fight to get the insurance figured out for the unpaid bill. We had that luxury. I understand most men and women here don’t have.

But my total bill for induction, epidural, the birth itself, and one night (she was 26 hrs old when we left, 46 hours at the hospital total) was “only” $13K. Some of the billing amounts I read on here are disgusting. I hate it. I’m reenlisting just so we can keep the insurance I do have because I want another kid in the future, and the idea of paying for it with the bills I keep seeing makes me sick.

Back