I am team crib til college. Change my mind

@benaz1 Furniture is all mounted to the wall, hatch machine and camera are both on the tall chest of drawers across from the bed with the cords down the back and beside an unplugged glider recliner so she can't get access. We have some plug boxes to go over the outlets with things plugged in. Other outlets have plug covers. Closet door has a door knob cover. Bedroom doorknob we swapped so the lock is on the outside and we have a knob cover on the inside. No curtains and windows are high with cordless blinds. Toys are all downstairs and not in her room. She has a blanket and 4 sleepy time friends in the bed with her along with a soft straw cup for water. Low pile ruggable on the floor. Our room is right next door and she knows we come in the night as soon as she calls for us.

@seekingservant I'm also team early transition. Better to do it when they're young enough not to fight you on it. We transitioned my son from his pack n play to a toddler bed the night he turned 16 months. He's now 18 months and it's been pretty smooth! We're lucky in that he doesn't really get out of bed if he's in the room by himself, and he only rolled out a couple of times the first two nights he was in it. It's so much easier getting him into/out of bed when he can climb in and out himself. His room is almost completely empty and entirely toddler-proofed, which was inconvenient, but worth the peace of mind.

@savedthroughgrace With you! We transitioned at 18 months to a floor style bed with our daughter and she just goes with it now. I never worry about her in her room. The freedom is just the norm! She’s 2.5 now and we just switched to a twin bed and it’s been so easy.

@julia736 That's wonderful! Some of the responses here are wild, lol. I'm not interested in infantilizing my son well into his preschool years. Let them gain some age-appropriate independence.... while at the same time, saving my back the work of picking up/putting down into a crib multiple times per day. 🙂

@neverbeenalone Let me just give you a warning. If/when you do move to a bed, make sure there is a bumper or a railing NO MATTER HOW LOW THE BED IS. My 3.5 year old has a very low (I can’t even fit my head under the bed frame it’s that low, probably a foot off the ground) IKEA twin bed (on carpet). After she gave up her binkies she said she was too old for the bumper. Since her bed is super low and on carpet I didn’t think anything of it. She rolled out of bed and fractured her collarbone. A complete transverse fracture of the clavicle. Learn from my mistake.

@neverbeenalone Thank you. 6.5 weeks and she was finally released to return to normal activities as of the beginning on November. Had to miss her belt testing in taekwondo but she gets to make it up this weekend. The first four days were awful but after that, it was hell keeping her from hurting herself (no running, jumping, or climbing). After she broke it she started doing crazy stuff like running with her eyes closed. Like why.

@kevt Glad she’s ok.

Thanks for sharing. My oldest I think has the same bed, luckily she doesn’t really move at night. It’s so low that’s it’s crazy to think a toddler could get hurt falling out. However, my youngest that’s going to be moving out of a crib soon, snuggles up to the crib walls and bangs into them pretty much every night. Looks like I’ll be shopping for a side rail for him…

@nmaddog46 Thank you. It was so surprising because there was one other time she slept without the bumper and she rolled out of bed and stayed asleep…we found her fast asleep on the floor. This time, she must have fallen on it just right. It actually took us awhile to figure out because she kept crying but wouldn’t tell me what or if anything hurt so we thought she was just scared. She’d calm down a bit while I tried to get her to go back to sleep but then she’d move and start crying all over again. Finally she told me she needed an ice pack “for her chest.” My husband/her Daddy touched her collarbone and could feel the fracture. So we were at the ER from midnight to 4:00a.

Docs said that you can look at that bone wrong for it to break but they heal stupidly fast in kids her age. Which was true. Apparently toddlers are lizards and because she is still so young, her bone actually regrew and the broken part will die off and dissolve. The bone cocoon that developed over the fracture will also eventually dissolve and send the extra calcium elsewhere in the body and you won’t even be able to tell she ever broke it. She can’t even remember which side it was (everyone said how lucky it was that it was her left, assuming she’s a righty… but of course, as luck would have it she’s actually a lefty). She had a sling for 4-5 days and Tylenol/Motrin every 3 hours for the first 4-5 days. She had to wear a brace for several weeks (at the beginning it was to keep her posture correct but after a couple of weeks, the only purpose it serves is to warn people she’s hurt so they’re careful). At her age, there’s really no treatment, just managing the pain at the beginning.

@kevt
Since her bed is super low and on carpet I didn’t think anything of it. She rolled out of bed and fractured her collarbone.

TBH, that sounds like something that was more an unfortunate accident and not something worth putting in bumpers or railings (which are probably more likely to be a trip hazard/danger for most kids). Our oldest has been in a bed since about 22 months old. They fell off their bed every so often for a month or two from that height, they rarely even woke up from it. Most toddlers will weekly fall over/off things from heights greater than that.

@fencepost Well if I had to do it all over again I would prefer keeping the bumper (a half circular pillow that goes under the fitted sheet) then have my daughter go through that much pain again.

@fencepost Jup. My husband kicked (by accident in the dark) our laundry basket two weeks ago and fractured his big toe in a weird way so he needed surgery.

Accidents will happen. We didn't ban laundry baskets from our home and you can't fool-proof your kids against everything.

Back