I (16M) may have just ruined my relationship with my (44M and 40F) parents

@callen3822 It’s not something that should fester and build up for years and years. Nothing should no matter how traumatic because it only destroys the person carrying that weight. This person needs to find out why they’re being treated this way. All of my siblings and I felt as if my mother was too hard on us when we were children, we’d get “mexican beat downs,” withheld food, cold showers, forced to sleep outside and so much more. Fast forward my mom had no clue there was a different approach and wasn’t being intentionally abusive. It was a cultural thing. We eventually talked it out as adults and now we have the best relationship. “This too shall pass” is the perfect saying, because everything in fact does pass and is only temporary from our grievances to our very existence.

@anamcara I also agree with this. The physical beatings are one thing, and have completely stopped, as I’m a fairly tall, strong teen, and that does seem like a cultural thing, but the restrictions on literally everything seem outrageous, especially when my older brother and I are the only ones affected. Also the mental abuse behind that doesn’t seem cultural. But the physical ones do. I haven’t experience a Mexican beat down, but I’ve definitely had a few Indian ones before lol.

@anamcara Thanks for your response, and I feel like I’ve gotten over the ‘toys’ getting taken away, it’s the fact that she refuses to let me get a job, study, and even does stuff (maybe unknowingly, maybe not) that humiliates me at school. I’ll try to be more forgiving and express my troubles though. Thanks again.

@bladerunner your mom needs some time to love herself. she can't love herself so how can she give what she doesn't have?

tell your auntie about your troubles with your mom and she can speak on your behalf.

@katrina2017 My auntie lives in a different country, and also how’d you know I have one, lol? I never mentioned her. Also I might try telling this stuff to my dad and seeing what happens. Thanks for your advice!

Back