Husband forgetting to turn oxygen on

@jtmorris I’d like to write a little something not to excuse hubby but to hopefully reassure you if this happens again, especially as little hands start exploring and pulling everything they touch. Sending babies home on 0.3L NC is what I describe as a “whiff” of oxygen, whose purpose at this point isn’t keeping baby’s oxygenation at a safe level (generally babies stay in NICU if that has to be managed, except for chronic patients), but rather the O2 is supporting energy for feeding endurance and growing. If baby’s color goes pale or blue when the oxygen is off, I’d suggest a trip to the pediatrician to evaluate. When I’m preparing families to go home on nasal cannula, we practice OFF cannula but ON monitor to be sure that baby can tolerate without supplemental oxygen. So not to excuse anything, but hopefully to assure you that kiddo is probably not suffering hypoxia or anything from dad’s goofs :)

@bytor So true! And it has saved lives! No baby ever died wearing an owlet. A lot of moms will rant about it but I love it. It kept and keeps me still sane even 2 yeaes later. When she has a cold or fever I always put it on. I even put it on when she had a bad fall on her head. Soooo reassuring - well worth the money!

@novilina If my son hadn't been brought home with a monitor, I would've bought the owlet sock, even for peace of mind. You'll start to realize that at times it'll alarm when the baby is moving and when to be concerned. It'll be good for you and your husband.

@novilina I thought they discontinued the one that monitors 24/7 and with an alarm and now all they have is the dream sock which only gives you an average reading over a 10 minute period and isn’t meant to be a safety device. Which one do you use?

We were sent home with a monitor from our home health supply company but it drives me crazy bc it stops reading often, has false alarm moments and is never quite accurate 😩

@leaderoftheband I have the sock 3. The dream sock still shows the current o2 in the app as far as I am concerned. You can message or phone their customer dervice they are very acurate and nice.

@novilina Huh. I didn’t buy it because on the box it said it didn’t show current o2 or have alarms if it falls below and that it will gather o2 information over 10 minutes and then display that- which my son is on such a small level of o2 that he even does well off the oxygen completely but we are keeping him on it til his heart pressures drop another 10-15 so the alarm not existing doesn’t really bother me lol I am just confused how it truly works bc the box is deceiving obvi. I am interested in the owlets though if they work better! Do you have any issues with it?

Reading correctly, saying sensor not found, or anything frustrating like that?

@leaderoftheband I LOVE my owlet. And I love their customer support. I have never had any problems. I had it go off only twice and that was when she moved a lot in her sleeping sack and it came off her foot but she was actively moving and we were awake anyways. It did reassure me though that it does work bc I was always sceptical 😂 I had it on while in hospital and it showed always the same numbers as the hospital monitor. I just recently ordered the toddler socks so I can use it another couple of years.

You can always phone their customer service. Or buy it and return it via amazon if you don't like it.

@novilina Thank you for replying with this info!! The one we have literally drives me crazy all day it will just stop working and it has an alarm that goes off when it’s disconnected and it doesn’t stop and I have to turn it off and back on and sometimes I’ll look at the monitor and it will say some absurd reading like 78/55 BPM and I’m like there is no way that’s right and it’s generally just very frustrating through out the day!

I will definitely look into this and see about getting one 🙌🏼🙌🏼

@leaderoftheband I have the older model. You can look on ebay if you can get a sock 3 model. If not talk to customer service and ask them if the dream sock monitors o2 just like the 3 does.

Imo it is the same thing.

@novilina I tried to get the smart sock before but I was told that since they aren’t allowed to make them anymore that it doesn’t sync with the app and you can’t use it even if you bought it off someone, that’s not true?

From what I understand, only the smart sock did the oxygen monitoring on a current and active status and something happened and they had to discontinue making them bc they can’t market a device as a “safety monitoring device” if it isn’t through a medical company or something like that. My NICU doctors were telling me this when we were in the hospital several months ago bc I told her I was going to buy one.

@novilina Ugh why did they lie to me like that lol wow. Thank you so much! I haven’t gotten a message yet but I’m definitely going to buy it bc it’s gotta be better than this one we are using lol.

@jtmorris Honestly, we did this. We were both angry at the time (neither of us could even recall who brought LO upstairs). But we were sleep deprived.

That said, my son was on a really small flow of oxygen and no damage was done. We actually laugh about it now (5 years later). The newborn stage is hard enough without adding in oxygen tanks.

@jtmorris I’m so sorry this happened! I recommend getting a monitor, Babytone monitors are FDA approved and half the price of the owlet. It rarely has false alarms and it alerted us to our LO’s desat last month when he had bad reflux in the middle of the night. It is well worth the money and we love ours!

Back