Hey I’m fat and wanna get fit during pregnancy!

@tylerwest21 I’m just here to recommend a program that is directed toward pregnancy and postpartum. It’s called Get Mom Strong. I think your best bet is to do something particularly directed toward pregnancy so you’re not fumbling around trying to modify and you get the most out of your session. This program in particular costs money but I’m sure there are decent countless programs on YouTube.

Also, I see you’re getting conflicting advice on whether or not to start a new work out program. Consult your OB and make a plan to start from there. If evening walks are doable for you, try that in addition to whatever you choose.

@tylerwest21 You can’t outrun a bad diet. Start there. Remember you are not eating for 2, the recommendation is 300 more calories a day in the second and third trimester. Be cautious about your exertion. I have only been able to continue hiking and lifting while pregnant because it was something I was able to before pregnancy.

@tylerwest21 I guess I’m going to be the outlier here but OP, but I think pregnancy is a great time to begin focusing more on your health and fitness! This is a time in your life when you’re probably becoming more in tune with your body than before, and more aware of the importance of your physical and mental health in general. I’m really excited for you. I’m certifying right now to specialize in pregnancy-specific personal training because I really believe there is a lot of misinformation out there about this subject and yes, even overcaution. Anyone who is beginning something new like this needs to start slow and be smart. Your body is de-conditioned and very prone to injury right now, and recovering from injury would be a different beast altogether atm, and the ramifications of injury potentially much more serious.

But dissuading you from beginning to workout right now altogether is ridiculous in my option so please don’t be discouraged.

IMO going from sedintary to 30-50 min 7x a week of Chloe is probably not sustainable for most people. But I think you’ll probably out for yourself pretty quick if you do decide to try, and I don’t want you to feel discouraged by it! Just listen to your body, quit before you fail (in this case) and if you need to just switch to something easier to use to work up to it!

This is one of the best things you could be doing right now, keep it up!

@tylerwest21 I think the other commenter is spot on- you’re strongly advised not to start a new fitness regime while pregnant. Walking should be your go-to to stay active and in a good frame of mind. I’ve had an active pregnancy but now in the final weeks, walking is all I’m doing and it’s keeping me sane too.

@rad0x This is very interesting but I still think walking and other light exercise should be the first port of call for a pregnant lady with low fitness levels, therefore I feel my original comment is still valid.

@xeena Well sure except for where you said “you’re strongly advised not to start a new fitness regime while pregnant”. That part is plainly inaccurate. Walking is a good start but some weight lifting/strength and likely some physical therapy for the core and pelvic floor would be recommended and wise as well.

@rad0x But that has been the general consensus and I don’t see how it is “plainly inaccurate”. I feel it is a fairly common sense approach and I’ll be interested to see what future studies find.

@xeena Because I linked a credible source to back up that what you are saying is directly in contradiction to the expert advice. Your recommendation is outdated and no longer true and it’s important to dispel. There are consequences to women not working out because they think it’s contraindicated to start in pregnancy. If we want women to have healthy pregnancies, we have to encourage to start working out.

@rad0x You have cited one credible source to support an argument but I can see it is important for you to be “right” about this.

@xeena You’re the one seeming very concerned with whether you’re right or not. I know I am correct since this has nothing to do with opinion, simply fact. Would you like to present a credible source?

Here is another credible source for your satisfaction. ACOG who formerly recommended to maintain the same activity as pre-pregnancy, directly changed/updated their advice to pregnant women not already working out should “start now!”

https://utswmed.org/medblog/exercise-during-pregnancy/

@rad0x I highly doubt the recommendation is for a newly pregnant, formerly sedentary person to start Chloe Ting style HIIT workouts. You’re being extremely literal instead of looking at the general message/spirit of what everyone is suggesting. Yes, you CAN start working out. Does that mean all workouts are equal? Don’t punish people for using common sense and advising this woman not to go from 0-100, when she could easily end up injuring herself or her baby by doing so.

@christianstraightalk I specifically said not to start heavy lifting or HIIT. I linked sources for a reason. I am not the authority on this, so you’re looking for my comment to be something it isn’t. Many of these comments are parroting the outdated myth that woman who were not exercising before pregnancy, should not start new exercises once pregnant. That is no longer the recommendation. I can’t be more clear and my concern with the majority of these comments is that they are actually LACKING common sense.

@tylerwest21 I am overweight and have enjoyed in-person group prenatal fitness classes. I like the community aspect of being around other pregnant women, some FTMs, some on their second or third pregnancies, all at different stages of pregnancy, sharing their experiences or tips. I did some yoga and strength training before pregnancy, and now do yoga and prenatal Pilates with a focus on pelvic floor muscles. I haven't lost or gained any weight, and am at 23weeks.

I would recommend finding an in-person class. Most instructors are pretty careful and watchful of their pregnant participants and can suggest modifications or will check in if you look like you're struggling. Sometimes they even say it's fine if you just need a break and want to come to class to lay on a mat! I think if you weren't getting fit before pregnancy, it may be best to just find ways to move, or to incorporate some gentle stretching to prepare your body for birth.

@tylerwest21 One thing I want to point out, when you say you “practice it poorly,” having good form when you workout is a huge part of staying safe, which should be the highest priority during pregnancy. If you are not used to doing Chloe Ting style HIIT workouts, realistically it’s going to be very difficult to maintain good form and perform the exercises safely. A lot of her moves also involve jumping, which can lead to high impact and even falls. I understand you have your reasons for finding the HIIT style workout to be the most appealing, but maybe once you start doing more research into alternative forms of exercise that are more recommended for people who weren’t super active before pregnancy you will find something else that fits? Slow and controlled weight training with progressive overload for instance (which Chloe Ting also includes in her workouts), or gentle mat pilates (also included in some of her workouts).

@tylerwest21 It’s really great that you want to get more active during pregnancy! As a few others mentioned, the general recommendation is to not try anything too new/intense during pregnancy. It might be helpful to start off with something that’s a bit more gentle or specifically designed for pregnancy, and progress to the Chloe Ting workouts as able. I did a whole bunch of prenatal workouts on YouTube which may give you some ideas. All the best

@tylerwest21 Walking and very gentle yoga will be the best ones to start. You typically don’t want to start a new strenuous workout routine when pregnant but walking and gentle yoga (yin or prenatal) are great for helping stay active. Keep it up and eat as healthy as possible (lots of fresh fruits and vegetables). Diet has far more to do with weight than activity.

Back