H E L P ! New mom - bottle feeding with Dr. Brown bottles using Enfamil A.R

beriisnow

Hi All,

I’m a new mom and I’m stressed looking for any advice or tips.
My son is 6 weeks old and he is currently bottle feeding on Enfamil A.R. Due to acid reflux. He is taking 4 oz at once now - but I’ve noticed an increase in spitting up all the sudden again. Also, the formula is supposed to be thicker and it’s not anywhere near what it was with the 2 oz bottles when I would mix it. I add water then the formula and it’s coming out thinner with the 4 oz bottles.

I found a post from over a year ago with concerns that the ounce/ ML measurements on the Dr. Brown bottles differ from other brands!!!. This is very concerning to me because I don’t want to give too much or to little water to the formula.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

@beriisnow We had too many issues with Dr Brown bottles and all the parts. Plus the cleaning was obnoxious. We switched to Phillips Avent bottles. The blue ones with the otters on them. Made a world of difference for my little dude who was having issues.

@beriisnow I would make an appointment about excessive spit up and bring pictures. Also away do your measurements with quality measuring cups and scoops I never trusted the mark on the bottle. You are doing great.

@lrjohn The pediatrician is aware of the spitting up - which is why we switched to the Enfamil with added rice. I should of been more clear- his spitting up has gotten much better but seemed to of returned with increased ounces being consumed at once. The 2 oz bottles seemed to thicken better - when he started taking 4 oz it seems like the 2 scoops to 4 oz water ratio doesn’t thicken like it should. Thank you so much for your positivity 🩵 - I’m new to all of this and I’m in constant worry mode sometimes.

@beriisnow Are you letting the formula sit? We used it when our daughter was born and IIRC, once mixed, it had to sit and allow the rice powder to hydrate.

One suggestion, batch it. We would make 20 to 30 oz at a time, in a large measuring cup and let it hydrate and cool before portioning it into bottles.

If you're noticing excessive spitting up, I'd call your pediatrician and confirm how you're making the formula.

@parentingpod I am letting the formula sit for the recommended 5 mins and doing another shake. I am definitely going to consider making a batch ahead of time. Did you warm the formula before or after letting it sit to hydrate? Also, did you notice any changes with poop consistency- soft / play dough like sometimes and mushy other times.