Give your best line for “no”

@kimmjohns Just out of curiosity, does your husband not like being around his sibling either? I'm sorry you are in this position, I love whole family vacations, even if family is a pain sometimes. Hope you guys work through this.

@anoncoholic He doesn’t like SiL or BiL but he will do his best to make his mom happy. And she will keep digging into him. For months. And months. And try to convince him. Until he is finally like “fine, leave me alone”

@mem5 Ha, what kind of mom would she be not to pester her son for family time? Thats like mom 101. I'ma pester the hell out of my kids to all come around or do vacations together when they get to be adults.

@anoncoholic 🤷‍♀️ I’m gonna respect my kids’ no when they’re adults and accept that they may prefer to spend time together that doesn’t involve a family vacation with people they don’t get on with.

@mem5 Its so interesting and weird to me to be down voted for wanting my family to be a family past 18 years of raising them. Its such an interesting and new idea to me that some don't want to push for their family to keep doing things together and truly be a family past adulthood. Just never something i experienced. Thank God. Loved time with my cousins as a kid even if my dad didnt at all see eye to eye with his brother, who was one hell of a 'fun' uncle.

Thanks for sharing your views though, its interesting to see new takes on family dynamics.

@anoncoholic It’s interesting to me that you have repeatedly chosen to interpret a family vacation as the only family time that can happen.

Why does “family time” have to take place on your or MIL’s terms? Why can’t it happen in a way that works for the other adults in the family?

It’s odd that you’ve decided that because others do it differently, that we don’t want to spend time with our families.

Perhaps when you say “be a family past 18 years,” what you really mean is “I want my children to continue to defer to me as the authority in their life until I’m dead,” and if that is the case, then you’re right: I definitely don’t agree with that.

@mem5 I havent but its the subject of the OP so i was sticking to that. It's been made clear OP does not like spending time with in laws. But ill stop there before things spins too far away from OP. We def disagree with many things when it comes to family. Again thanks for sharing your view, its always nice to see outside my world.

@kimmjohns Thats unfortunate. Hope they resolve their issues. Sounds like mom just wants the family together. Can't blame her much there really. Tough to have siblings you don't see eye to eye with.

Back