Gentle C Section

@pringles24 I would ask what the "normal" procedure is for a c section at the location you will be birthing at; some of them have protocol that is the "gentle c section" and some you have to request all the things. Anything you wanted to do to keep you calm during labor can be incorporated into a gentle c section (minus freedom of movement, haha). But it sounds like so far, you've got a good list going.

@pringles24 I didn’t hear it called a gentle c section but I experienced most of what you are described for both of my births. I don’t know if we did delayed cord clamping but we had the rest.

First, there was a solid blue drape in front of a clear drape. Immediately as the baby was pulled out they dropped the blue drape so we could see the baby. The doctor held them up to the drape and had my husband take pictures fresh out. I did not see any of my actual surgery/opening, I think that would be terrifying. But from my lying down angle I could see the very end of them pulling the baby out, if that makes sense.

They then took the baby to a little room immediately off of the surgical room, it had a large glass window so I could still see them, but that’s where they quickly checked the baby and did the apgar score. The baby was then immediately brought to me to put on my upper chest. The baby stayed there the entire time while they sewed me up and did whatever else to complete the surgery. I did not attempt to nurse or anything until they were done and we were carted to the next room.

One other thing I just remembered - my husband had to wait out of the room while they prepped me for the surgery, I don’t know why. I think I had to get the spinal shot thing without him and then they set me up and he came in? So don’t be surprised if there is some separation there. But he was able to stay for the rest, and was also able to go with them into the little off room when they did the apgar tests.

I had great experiences with my c sections, especially the second one that was scheduled and anticipated. What I described above is just my doctor’s standard practices, I didn’t ask for it (but was grateful for it). I can’t think of much more I would have needed. I guess the only thing is that I really appreciated when things were explained to me - this is what I’m doing now, you may feel this and that’s normal, etc.

@pringles24 I had a scheduled C-section last week. It was scheduled the day before but had been looking likely for the majority of the pregnancy as I had a massive baby.

I live in NZ and am aware our maternity care is different to the US.

With no particular fuss, they happily delayed cord clamping and did skin to skin very quickly. We chose not to know the sex of the baby, and our midwife made this clear, so the baby came out and we heard a cry then watched the clock for a minute before they clamped and held him over the curtain for us to greet him. It was weird knowing he was there but also having to wait.

He was taken to be "warmed up", we were warned that scheduled C-section babies are often a bit surprised to be in the world so need some assistance to get their lungs going. Once he was breathing healthily they brought him over for skin to skin.

My husband helped hold him for skin to skin which lasted about 5 mins before I started to go downhill. Baby was quickly removed to have skin to skin with dad while the anesthesitist adjusted the medication.

After I was stitched up and was stable, he was placed back on me for more skin to skin and feeding. This meant he had his first feed within the hour.

Due to the medical nature of the procedure there was no way to have it any crunchier. It was a much more relaxed atmosphere than I was expecting and I felt heard by everyone.

@pringles24 I had an emergency C-section due to AFLP at a baby-friendly hospital! I had skin to skin, no delayed clamping due to my condition + distress, and I didn’t want a clear drape because I get squeamish. Dunno if they are a thing in your area but I would look into them.

I wouldn’t change much about the actual birth of my child, but my birth was traumatic because of what AFLP did to me, but that came days after birth. Thankful I chose to be in the hospital, the supervision the days after birth is what saved me!

@pringles24 I would say that my unplanned c-section was actually pretty gentle. It wasn't an emergency, we saw it coming for several hours before we made the call, baby just wasn't tolerating induced labor very well (turns out my pelvis was too narrow for him to engage and move through).

I think the biggest thing that made it "gentle" was actually my doctor. She is a perfect match for my personality - kind, no-nonsense, willing to explain everything thoroughly. She helped me work through multiple options to get to a vaginal birth and she later told my husband that she suspected I would need a c-section, but she wanted me to feel ready and empowered to make that choice.

When I did make the call, she gave me a very thorough overview of what the procedure would be like. We found out that they wouldn't allow a clear drape (but as soon as he was born, they would lower it so I could see him and touch him through the sheet). They also wouldn't allow for me to do skin-to-skin, but delayed cord clamping is standard as a part of my private practice's card. While she was closing, my husband would go with the baby out to a quiet dark recovery space to wait with baby, and he could do skin-to-skin then. No nurses offered to help my husband with it, but he knew my wishes so he advocated to do skin-to-skin (leading to some really sweet and tender first moments with them, and our son trying to root and latch onto his nipple LOL).

TBH - I burst into tears when he was born, and I was shaking VERY hard from the sobbing, so they had to really up my sedation as soon as he was out so they could close and I don't think I would've felt safe holding him on the operating table. I also got held up during closing (not an emergency but something they needed to make extra sure of) and I was so relieved to know my husband was out snuggling with him.

If we have a second, I will elect for a c-section with the same doctor, and the only things I'll do differently, is see if someone can take a video of the moment the baby is born, and see if I can see my placenta (and bid it good-fucking-riddance, I had GD lol).

If I was you - I'd figure out what you want, what things are MOST important to you, make sure your partner knows them so they can advocate for you/those things, and I would see what your doctor can help you accommodate.

@pringles24 I had an emergency c section and it was unfortunately not gentle by any means however things I would do again looking back are:
Get up and moving as soon as able, even just for a tiny bit. Once we got home i kept myself moving, went for a short short walk every day just to get some fresh air and movement.

Purchase a shower stool/chair. I was able to sit and have a shower more frequently because of this and it made me feel so much better to get clean and still be able to relax even though no baths.

Meal prep in the second and third trimester. We did lots of snacky things like protein oat & fruit cookies and egg rolls as well as stews chillis and pasta sauces. We worked our way through all the prepped food in a little over a month but by then I was more mobile and able to help with dinners etc.

Good luck! You've got this!

@pringles24 I had an unplanned “gentle” c-section, and was very happy with the experience overall. My advice, since you get to plan it, is to shave/wax your own pubic region beforehand (check with your medical team to make sure this is ok though), get some really high special c-section underwear and bring a few pairs to the hospital, and get a comfortable rocking, motorized recliner for your recovery at home, especially if you plan on breastfeeding. You’ll likely be spending much of each day sitting in it with baby for the first few months.

@pringles24 I had a great C-section experience. Docs didn’t give any choices with music, dim lighting, etc. b/c it’s major surgery but did give choice of clear drape and letting me hold baby if possible. I didn’t want a clear drape b/c I’d be scared as hell to see anything, but my OB narrated what he was doing which was perfect. Once LO was out, the nurse held him on my chest so we could have some skin to skin and picture. Then they took him and let him hang out with my husband while I was being stitched up.

One thing I didn’t expect but was absolutely wonderful: the healthcare workers were just conversing about whatever. It was so chill. My husband was cracking jokes. Could be something you could potentially request if you’d be into it

@pringles24 I don’t know where you’re located, so your experience may differ from mine.

I had an unplanned c-section. My water broke, and after 24 hours I had to be induced. After 16+ hours of induction, I ended up with a c-section (for context, the OB on call told me my inner pelvic anatomy meant I never would have birthed this baby and likely would be unable to birth any baby).

The c-section was amazing (seriously, 10/10 would recommend) and that was all the result of how the team communicated with me. The anesthesiologist provided me with info on every step in an informed way. The GP on call was gentle and thoughtful (she had a talk with me about how the c-section was not my fault and there’s nothing I could have done differently. She let me know that she herself was a c-section baby, as was the OB!) The nurse was concerned and motherly.

I was able to hold the baby as soon as he had been cleared by the pediatrician. I did skin-to-skin for a few minutes but had trouble holding onto the baby as I was laying down, so asked my husband to take him. After the c-section was over, I had an hour in recovery with only me, the baby, my husband, and a nurse to bond.

At no point did I ever feel out of control or rushed. Quite the opposite - I feel as though everyone was there to support me.

@pringles24 I’ve had two c-sections: one emergency under general anesthesia, and one that had been planned but then got bumped up a bit when I went into labor two weeks before the scheduled date. My hospital does what it calls “family centered cesareans” which is just another name for gentle c’s. My second cesarean was incredible. I felt connected to my team, my partner, and my baby. I spent time before the procedure talking to every provider - anesthesiologist, NICU nurse, my nurse, surgeon and resident, etc about my needs and desires. Even though it was a c section I still brought a print out of birth preferences. It was so important to me that I get to hold my baby right away. The NICU nurse explained the brief exams he’d have to do and reassured me that his goals were the same as mine - make sure baby was ok and get her to me asap, which eased a lot of my anxieties about separation (a huge stressor in my case based on my first traumatic birth). I also talked to the anesthesiologist about not wanting any drugs that might make me less alert or impact my memory. So for example I asked not to be given versed (which wasn’t standard for them anyway). Right before they scrubbed my belly for surgery, my surgeon had me reach down and rub my belly one last time since the next time I touched it, I wouldn’t be pregnant any more. It was a very sweet moment. I had a clear drape - they put up an opaque one while they’re getting you opened up, and then lower it so you’re looking through the clear one just as your baby is emerging. It was so beautiful and in my experience not at all gross or creepy. I was tilted in such a way and my belly was big AF so I couldn’t actually see anything as far as guts go. They actually let me reach out and touch my baby and had her hold my hand through the clear drape while they were doing the delayed cord clamping which was so so amazing. They then weighed her and made sure she was ok, and then immediately she was on my chest and stayed there for the rest of the surgery, and only came off momentarily got my husband to hold while they transferred me from the operating table to the recovery area. It was the best possible scenario - based on my risk factors and her breech positioning, c-section was the way to go, and all the little details came together to make it a very calm, centered, and empowering experience.

@pringles24 Hi! I had a schedule CS for my second and it was super super gentle and calm and happy.

To be clear, recovering from a CS still sucks, but I have a functional butthole which a repeat 4th degree tear can’t guarantee.

My biggest regret is not making my husband hand his phone over to the nurse anesthetist to take photos. Bring both phones for photos.

Other than that, I kinda liked the no-visitors thing due to covid, and we stayed 4 days. Pain was much more controlled by day 4, so I recommend it if you can. Baby was pretty jaundiced so that bought us an extra day. Luckily never had to leave our room though. Keep up on stool softeners and really do the liquid diet until you fart.

My biggest advice is to get a pillow wedge for your bed at home because laying flat was not comfortable for a while, and make a boob/butt cart from one of those 3-tier craft carts that come in fun colors. Walking is great for recovery but you’ll want to more or less nest at home, only going up and down stairs once a day for a few weeks.

@pringles24 I had music playing (my choice so think of songs you want) during C-section and a wonderful anesthesiologist that talked with me throughout the procedure. I was singing as well as the OBGYN, it made it as gentle as possible for me. My husband did skin to skin immediately and I did it 15 mins later. I told my husband to stay with the baby, he went to the nursery with baby and nurse while I was in post anesthesia unit because baby had low temp.

Back