For those of you exercising 5+ times a week

austins3991

What kind of workouts are y’all doing? And do you work full time? I’m struggling to get 3-4 and could use some tips/motivation. Thanks in advance!

Edit: thanks for all the replies!! It’s motivating to hear how everyone is continuing to make themselves better when it’d be easy to slack. PS I’m jelly of all y’all with flexible work schedules

@austins3991 PreCore from Celeste Goodson; Low Impact or PowerZone Endurance rides and prenatal yoga on the Peloton; and I walk the local Summer Run Series races. When I took my GD test at 20 weeks, my blood sugar levels were fine. I was very slightly into the anemic zone, so I’ve been taking an iron supplement. My energy levels went up when I started taking it 10 weeks ago (I’m 30 weeks today).

My motivation is wanting a quick delivery. I ran through 30 weeks with my first, and I had a very easy labor and delivery. I’m trying to replicate that for this pregnancy!!

Truthfully, the biggest factor in finding the time to work out is that I’m off for the summer. When school starts in September, I know I won’t be exercising as much!

@asjc35 Is it proven that staying active through pregnancy makes for an easier labor? I was very active through 28 weeks, but then I was hospitalized for a chronic abruption. I’ve now been on hospital bedrest for 10 days, and the OBs seem to think I’ll be here until they can induce me. Even if I’m released, I’m not going to be allowed to be active again.

@patchygirl1964 I think your overall fitness level may help in delivery and recovery if there are no complications. If you are generally active and are on bedrest for unforseen circumstances your overall fitness might still help.

@patchygirl1964 Hello! Yes, staying active through your pregnancy is correlated with faster deliveries and lower rates of c-section. I've found a few research articles on it, would you like to see them?

@patchygirl1964 Keep in mind correlation doesn’t always equal causation! For those, you need to look/search for randomized trials which actually aren’t super resoundingly concrete, far from “proven”. What I have seen is it certainly can help with GD based on mechanics of blood sugar, for example, but some randomized studies on more typical pregnancies haven’t found much differences and say we need more research.

The reason for correlations of fitness with positive pregnancy outcomes in observational studies is going to have some influence from other features fit people are likely to have, as well as the ability to remain fit in pregnancy is likely correlated with a less complicated pregnancy (thus less chance of interventions like c-section).

All to say is, I think it still makes sense to assume fitness will be good for pregnancy, and it’s recommended by all major ob groups for a reason :) But the features of fit people seem to have influence that is hard to separate out, which you will have.

@patchygirl1964 Here's an article that shows a mild reduction in the risk of C-section woth exercise.

Research is never unequivocal - here's another article that doesn't show an effect on the rate of c-section, but does show a reduced risk of intrument-assisted delivery (forceps, vacuum, etc).

Here's a third article showing that exercise helps to reduce excessive weight gain during pregnancy and complications such as gestational diabetes.

I did a thorough review of the literature a few months ago and found some more articles showing that maternal exercise is correlated with more intelligent children and increased muscle mass in the child.

OB will sometimes prescribes bed rest or low activity for pregnant women, but the evidence suggests that exercise isn't correlated with increased or decreased risk of pretern labor. However, most studies are done on women with uncomplicated pregnancies and I would certainly recommend following the advice of your physician or midwife.

@asjc35 Hiiii. Are you still running at the moment? Just wondering if you don’t mind me asking, what made you stop running at 30 weeks for your last pregnancy? Thanks 😊

@barefootrev I have run 1 total mile in this pregnancy. My pelvic floor felt very heavy early in this pregnancy, and it wasn’t worth the discomfort. I can do more intense cardio on the bike without the jiggly, heavy feeling of running.

At 30 weeks in my first pregnancy, it truly felt like my body said, “please stop” during a 5K. My round ligaments were tired and I felt like I had to pee the whole time - which meant my pelvic floor was being extra strained. I switched to swimming until I delivered at 39w1d (higher intensity without the negative effects of high impact).

@austins3991 I work full time - 3 12s a week. So I'm not exercising those days. Work is enough. But I've got 4 off days and no kids. The time is easy. The motivation is lacking.

@austins3991 I hit 5 days most weeks, and that’s by marking an “X” on my calendar if I’ve done >=30 min of activity. I do wfh, and am usually pretty tired during the week so it’s a gentle yoga, easy stationary ride, or walk. On the weekends, I’ll push myself just a bit more with a longer hike, kayak, tougher yoga class.

I’m motivated by making ticks on my calendar, and thinking that what I’m doing is probably good for my son. However, I’m not hard on myself if I can only get to 3/4 workouts some weeks, bc rest is critical to growing him too.

@austins3991 I do beginner 20 or 30 minute cycling classes on the Peloton or 30 minutes of yoga with the app Prenatal yoga. I do work full time so sometimes if I'm feeling energetic I get up before work and get a session in otherwise I do it after work before allowing myself to sit on the couch lol. Since I sit at a desk all day for work I feel like it's only fair to myself!