First Time Actually Baby Wearing Suggestions

jacklong

Help! I just had my second for my 2 u 2 and am looking for a carrier that I can use that is comfy for both baby and me for around the house and out and about! For reference I have a 3m old that is maaaybeee 15lb or slightly under so no need for a ginormous carrier. I also do not need a carrier that is able to adjust to them into adulthood lmao

In the past, I have tried: THE WRAPS (hate how they are not supportive and felt like baby would just slide down and the time it took to put on.) INFANTINO FLIP 4 IN 1 (wasn't a fan of the super structured feel of it - but I liked the easy baby clip in function) and I am now trying and not loving the JJ COLE LUMA PACKABLE CARRIER (back pain after wearing it for a while and straps are kind of awkward to adjust).

I am open to spending around $150ish give or take on a nice carrier. Would prefer feminine soft cute prints/solid colors since my second is a girl. Here is what I am looking at purchasing: Ergobaby Embrace and I have heard good things about HappyBaby but I am not a fan of the look of them. (I know HappyBaby is like a cult so don't come at me not liking it!! lol) I am still not 100% sold on the Embrace, so any and all advice/product suggestions appreciated!

A little about me how they would fit me fit wise: I am 5'2 and about 150lb. Let me know if you have any other questions in order to help me out!

@jacklong Did you try stretchy wraps or a woven wrap?

I am about your height and weight.

I've got an 11mo and as he was getting bigger, my faves have been:

Ergobaby embrace -- v. Comfy when they're little, pretty easy to bring places, I'm still using it when baby is just kinda fussy and wants to be snuggled.

A woven wrap -- best for naps. I like front cross carry best, easy to adjust. Baby felt secure for me in a woven wrap rather than a stretchy one. Learning curve though. Fast once you're used to it.

I have a boba Air and right now that's what I use for out and about because it folds into its own pouch and I can do both front and back carry.

I have an ergobaby omni 360 but I think that might be overkill. I use it for walks mostly, very structured, not as easy to pack.

Husband uses a tula free to grow and likes it a lot of you like those styles. I think I've used that once or twice, was fine to adjust for me we just dont want to change each other's adjustments once they're made.

@jojo2 It was stretchy ones! Is the embrace still easy to use/baby isn’t awkward in it at your babies age? A couple reviews I saw people said it’s pretty much only for newborns.

@jacklong I find it really easy to use still and not awkward at all. My baby isn't gigantic though, and he's at about 21lbs -- the limit is 25, so I'm keeping an eye on that. I haven't worn it for long periods of time in quite a while* but I don't notice anything uncomfortable about it or awkward, I can still tilt baby's hips, etc. I have used it recently for short periods.

If your baby is bigger then I can see it being more of an issue.
  • he doesn't have to be carried for naps anymore which has decreased my babywearing time
ETA: D'oh, I didn't say what carrier I was talking about! I meant the embrace.

@blessedj316 Huh! I guess it's different for everyone -- honestly my ergobaby has never felt that stretchy in the vertical direction (I just tugged on it to check) to me. Maybe I just got lucky with it or something? Or didn't use it as much as other people? I have other carriers that I also use quite a bit. For me the embrace does seem to pretty effectively transfer his weight onto my body, so I mostly feel like it's keeping him snugly against me.

@blessedj316 Oh yeah! I had a moby wrap (same idea) and he was definitely starting to sag in it (or I had to do it up too tight to feel secure) by right around 13 lbs!

It was great before that though.

@jacklong If your kiddo is already 15 lbs I would not buy anything stretchy or meant for a newborn. That rules out stretchy wraps, Ergo Embrace, “easy” carriers like K’tan and Boppy Comfortfit, etc.

I really like Tula, they make a ‘Free to Grow’ carrier that comes in a lot of fun fabrics and is very adjustable. LennyLamb has a few different styles of carriers with woven fabrics that look nice.

@jacklong I love my boba wrap. I found with my second (I also had 2 under 2) that once I could - I did all my carrying on my back so I could more easily assist my toddler. I really enjoy my boba for that.

@jacklong I would either get a tula or invest and learn to wrap with a woven. The learning curve is there but they are much comfier than any carrier out there. Also, check out local second hand shops or your facebook marketplace. The used market is rife with baby carriers.

@jacklong You could also try a half buckle carrier that has a waistband and a panel but then has woven wrap straps. So you kind of get the feel of a woven wrap with an easier learning curve. Little zen one is a company that has a try before you buy program, though I’ve never used it. I found a local babywearing group with a lending library and got to try on a bunch of different carriers, which was helpful, so it might be worth looking to see if there’s one near you.