Everytime she latches it feels like razor blades coming out of my nipples

@lsltylrs01 My 1st was so bad I stopped breastfeeding because no LC was helpful. I had a midwife for my 2nd and she literally told me to just shove as much boob in his mouth as possible when he opens it. He wasn’t getting the bottom part of my nipple past his gum line. Now 4 months in, he latches just fine unless he’s really tired. But that was probably the best advice I’ve ever gotten for breastfeeding. It might still hurt for a while until you heal but you can do it!

@lsltylrs01 Lanolin cream before EVERY feeding. Then make sure your nipples dry after and apply more. My baby is a biter and chewer at 8 wpp. So I get bruised nipples and it sucks. I do give her a bottle as needed to give my nipples a break. Or I’ll give her 1 oz via bottle to let her work out the aggression before moving her to directly bf. I also let her feed at will, no schedule.

You do what works for you.

@warden_of_the_storm Another vote for silverettes!!! Express some milk into them before you put them on, makes it work even better.

Also, go topless as much as possible. If you have a sunny room in your home that has a modicum of privacy, position yourself in the sunlight beam with your nipples out for a bit. This actually helped mine quite quickly.

Solidarity on the unplanned csection!! ❤️

@lsltylrs01 My* pain was also horrible. I had blisters and scabs on my nipples it was toe curling pain every time she fed. It got significantly better at two weeks to basically no pain. I still get some discomfort because she drinks like she hasn’t eaten in weeks sometimes but overall a million times better. Try lanolin cream! I also would pump and have my husband bottle feed every other feeding to give my nipples a break because my pump is far more gentle than she is. Now I do most feedings straight from me with no issues

@lsltylrs01 Do you know if your baby has a tongue tie? I've heard it can cause a shallow latch. But it's also likely that it's because baby is so new and you're both learning. Also, your nipples will toughen after a couple weeks, it doesn't seem like it will happen, but it will!

@jamil I’m pretty sure it’s because of my lazy positioning when she’s nursing at night, I’ll lay back and she’ll be on my stomach and I’m pretty sure that’s where I’m fucking up…. I’ll have to stop being lazy lol

@lsltylrs01 Heck, you're not lazy at all for nursing at night. That shit is hard, and you have to do it however you're comfortable and whatever it takes to stay awake!

@lsltylrs01 I also just saw in your post that you had an emergency c section. I did too, with my first baby, and just had a VBAC with my second. The recovery for my c section was a million times harder, both physically and mentally, with the c section. And it also makes sense why you'd be nursing lying back to be comfortable after a major abdominal surgery! My nurses kept trying to teach me to use the football hold. Personally, I struggled with it more than cross cradle, but I could see how it would be nice to not have to put baby on your stomach after a c section. Not sure if it would be more or less comfy for you!

@jamil The c section pain is almost overwhelming and I’m 2 weeks pp… and the pharmacy refused to refill my pain meds so I’ve been trying to get by with just ibuprofen. I can barely stand up straight 🫠 but I’ve been doing football hold on my left side but can’t seem to get the positioning on my right side. Also the nipple shield has been doing wonders, I’ve been using it every other feed and the shards of glass feeling is gone! But I have an appointment with WIC today so hopefully they’ll have some other useful tips for me.

@lsltylrs01 The pharmacy refused to refill your meds?! Come again?! I wonder if you called your provider if they could ok it because that is ridiculous. I'm so sorry!! You could double check, but I was doing 800mg ibuprofen AND extra strength Tylenol together, every 8 hours, just for my VBAC. Ahhh I hope you can get more meds soon!!! Nipple shields are a great idea! That's great that the shards of glad feeling is gone, hallelujah. I hope you can get more useful tips soon too!

@lsltylrs01 Every single woman I’ve talked to says the same thing- the first month is excruciating!! I promise it gets better after one month and then it never hurts again and is the BEST thing ever! Stick with it♥️

@lsltylrs01 I remember this feeling at the beginning. I cried through nursing one time because the feeling was making me sick. I worked out it was happening because of a shallow latch, she didn't have enough nipple or areola in her mouth and was gumming my nipple hard, it makes me cringe now even thinking about the feeling it caused. I tackled it by watching this video

https://www.unicef.org.uk/babyfrien...g-resources/positioning-and-attachment-video/

before every feed and in a few days it got better once I start actively preventing the shallow latch. I hope it works the same for you. Don't be afraid to unlatch the baby and relatch to make it more comfortable if you feel they're not on correctly. You're just as important as baby is, that was something I forgot at the beginning.

@lsltylrs01 One, I'd get checked for thrush. Two, nipple shields are amazing helper tools! You'll have to get the correct size for your nipple though, just like the pump flange. Three, nipple butter is the best thing ever. I suggest Nipple Crack by Tiny Human, it's so creamy but not greasy and lanolin free!