Evaporation while boiling

justwantfixed

We boil filtered water (4month old)and then wait a few minutes to add formula powder (Similac pro advanced). I boiled 16 oz of water and added 8 scoops. As per the posts here, I should end with having 17.6 oz of prepared liquid (since 1 scoop adds around 0.2oz of volume to water) whereas I ended up with only 16.5 oz of prepared formula. I’m too worried I might not have added correct scoops or could it be a result of water evaporation while boiling. If thats the case, should I re-measure water post boil.

@justwantfixed Measure post boil.

That said, the difference is pretty negligible. Scoops are not accurate in the first place, largely depending on how packed the powder is or if one corner of the scoop happened to get an air pocket. Nor are measurements on the bottle or pitcher entirely accurate, they are just estimates. Even the 1 scoop adds 0.2oz is an estimate and can add more or less depending on how packed the scoop is or how many air bubbles you end up with in the final mix. If you wanted to get super accurate, you would measure the (post boil) water and powder by weight.

But this isn't required. Sometimes you will get a bit more, sometimes a bit less. It will even out over time. As long as you aren't intentionally, grossly, screwing with the amounts you are fine. Even if you do short or add grossly once or twice by accident, it's not a huge deal just like being sick and not eating much for a day or two is fine. Don't overthink this, it's not meant to be rocket science.

Back