Elective C-section v. vaginal birth

@ibaneztony Thank you for these actual helpful insights. I think the tools of hypnobirthing sound quite helpful. It is indeed a big fear to loose ownership during a vaginal birth as one is so vulnerable in this time.

@ibaneztony Danke dir. Es ist auch nicht so, dass mein Mann der Despot im Kreißsaal ist. Das habe ich unglücklich beschrieben. Der hat genauso Schiss wie ich und will auf Nummer sicher gehen, kennt nur beschissene Geburtsberichte von unseren Bekannten / Familie und ist da hilflos bzw. kennt mich gut genug, dass ich wenig die Ruhe selbst bin und da extremst durchgechillt durch so ne vaginale Geburt gehe.
Ich denke, die Werkzeuge vom Hypnobirthing und Achtsamkeitsübungen sind ein guter Anfang. Ich hab auch viel von den magischen Datteln gehört und dachte immer, dass das Kräuterhexengeschichten sind 😂.

@ibaneztony Du sprichst meine Sprache, im.wahrsten Sinne des Wortes. Ich reagiere ja sehr allergisch auf so pauschale Aussagen wie "der Frauenkörper ist doch dafür gemacht" und so. Da bekomme ich Pickel.

@saroula I would try vaginal and have some cutoff point of if it's taking this long or with this much intervention go with c section. The recovery for c section is hard but I've heard stories of people laboring at the hospital for 10 hours only to have a c section at the end and wouldn't it have been easier to do it from the start. Also why is your husband anti vaginal?

@saroula Everyone I know who has had both says the vaginal recovery is easiest. I had an emergency c section after 29 hours of labor. I was fully dilated and had to keep from pushing as they prepped me for surgery. It sucked. If it’s medically indicated that a c section could be beneficial to you and baby based on how the baby is presenting, or size or something, I’d schedule it. If all is normal and well, I’d probably want to avoid a c section. I don’t feel like I was able to do as much with my baby as I’d like to and it’s fairly uncomfortable. It’s not terrible, but it’s not great. I also lost 2L of blood, nearly went into shock. It was a lot. Not sure if it would have been different if it were planned.

@saroula I was induced at 37 weeks after my water broke. It took 13 hours to progress to 4cm and I eventually needed an emergency c-section. After having a c-section I decided I would prefer to try a vaginal birth with my second. Complications are far more likely with a c-section than vaginal birth, and the healing process is longer. I had pain and numbness in my lower abdomen for years following my c-section. Your husband is not the one giving birth and should have little to no say.

@saroula I was in the same mindset as you before I had my first. My husband encouraged me to do what I had to do before my due date to feel better prepared because he thought that surgery and recovery would be way worse for me.

To become more prepared, I visited a pelvic floor therapist because I had this insane fear of POSSIBLE tearing and POSSIBLE complications that could come with it like bladder leaks, pain with sex etc. The therapist taught me breathing techniques and labor positions, and I honestly felt so much more at ease. I did not end up tearing. I do not have bladder leaks. Everything is as it was before pregnancy (and actually BETTER because I have endometriosis and my pain/symptoms have not come back still after a year and a half). I didn't have to worry about infections or scars healing, bending, lifting, getting out of bed, showering etc. I only had to focus on breastfeeding and bonding with my new baby.

Secondly, I was going on walks around the neighborhood at 5 days PP. I wouldn't have been able to do that, nor would I have felt able to do that with a C-section. I loved being able to give birth and have my baby girl in my arms right away and the entire time other than her blood work and measurements. My pain was only as long as my labor was, and then I got to soak up being a new mom.

At the end of the day, there could be complications in birth. There could be complications in c-sections. Im personally happy with my decision to go vaginal birth as I've seen friends not be able to work out the same, not be able to move the same, struggle with infection, struggle with PPD when they struggled to care for their newborn baby the way they want to, and also end up disliking their scar because it aches and certain clothing like jeans are too uncomfortable to think about wearing even after 2 years PP. I feel for those women!

@saroula I'm on pregnancy #3. This is just my experience and in no way will determine how yours will be but hopefully, it sheds some light!

Pregnancy #1: Had a whole birth plan, and was convinced I'd have a vaginal natural birth. At 41 weeks, I was induced and in labor for 23 hours. My daughter and I both got an infection and she was stuck in my birth canal which was causing her brain to start swelling. Needless to say, I ended up having an emergency c-section with a 103-degree fever.

Pregnancy #2: I had an elective c-section. It was scheduled at 39 weeks. Went in at 7:30 am was in recovery with my 2nd daughter by like 8:30 am and was out of the hospital within 2 days. My least favorite part was the spinal tap.

Pregnancy #3: I will be having another elective c-section as I'm now much older, don't want to risk anything and I will be getting my tubes tied as I know this will be my last kid (having another girl!).

The journey is yours, there will be pros and cons to both. You do what you feel is best for you, baby, and your body!

@saroula Your man sounds controlling and that should be a red flag! YOU get to choose. I’d tell him he’s not coming to either if he’s threatening to not come to a vaginal.

I worry your fears fall more onto your partner’s comfortability (ruining your vagina/he wants a c section.) I can’t believe your partner wouldn’t support the SAFER version for you and your baby.

I’m in the same predicament choosing between elective C and a natural birth due to health issues and it’s scary. I’m swaying more toward a natural as it’s safer for us and baby if all goes to plan. I always thought I wanted an elective C section but I’ve come to realise it’s really not the easy way out.

@saroula I’ve had two vaginal births and I’m pregnant with my third. I will do anything in my power to avoid a c-section. It is a major surgery. It comes with risks to you, and it comes with risks to your child. Babies born via c-section have higher rates of breathing problems at birth, higher rates of developing asthma later in life, higher rates of NEC, higher rates of developing celiac disease later in life, and possible increase in risk of diabetes mellitus later in life, just to name a few. Having a c-section will also limit the number of pregnancies you may be able to carry, as it increases risk of problems with future pregnancies.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3110651/

@saroula I’ve had two inductions and vaginal births. The pain I experience during labor completely disappeared once my kiddos came out.

I’m personally trying to avoid a C-section at all costs. I’d rather not have layers of my body sliced into and I’d rather not try to take care of a newborn while barely on any pain medication while recovering from a serious procedure.

And when it comes to your husband- when he has to have 7 layers of tissues cut into he can have an opinion on what YOU go through.

A friend of mine had four c sections, and had to have a hysterectomy because the scar tissue from her C-section healed onto her abdominal wall. It caused her extreme pain with everyday movement and sex. She’s not even 36 with a total hysterectomy. HOWEVER complications can happen to anyone.

Labor is scary no matter which route you go. I understand wanting to have control over the birth, but I think the vaginal delivery is less strenuous on a woman’s body in the long run.

@saroula Your husband shouldn’t be putting his foot down about your body. He should support whatever it is you want to do.

Also I’m not sure where you live, but if you’re in the US double check with your insurance that an elective c section won’t come with extra costs. My insurance only partially covered elective c sections that weren’t medically indicated for some reason. You can probably disregard this if you live in an actual civilized country with universal healthcare.

@saroula I'm 35+1 and made zero birth plan. No expectations = no disappointments. As things have progressed we (myself and the doctor) have decided a c section is going to be safest. Is it the kind of delivery I'd always pictured? No but I like the sound of the recovery process better.

By all means, plan however you want but be ready to be flexible if you need to be. I've heard too many stories of women being devastated that they didn't get to follow their birth plan.

@saroula I’m sorry I could never understand why anyone would want a c section over a natural delivery. We were created to push babies out. It’s just so crazy to me. Having a c section is my literal nightmare especially after seeing a few when I was in school .. it’s horrific

Back