Does your toddler play independently when they wake up in the morning?

@carrie1973 My 4 year old also likes to sleep and cuddle, so he will sneak into our room at some point and cuddle with us. Theres times where he will be awake but just want to cuddle and he'll be happy being next to us.

The 1 year old? Complete opposite. If hes awake, everyone must be awake. If I try to lay back down, he gets angry and yells at the blanket. I miss the days of just cuddling and sleeping lol

@sbjk Haha I hear you! I would enthusiastically welcome cuddling, even if no sleep were involved. Alas, our guy wants to climb, jump, wrestle, shout, etc. Someday we’ll all sleep again. Right?? 😅

@carrie1973 When he was younger (say 12 months maybe) I would put a little bin of toys in his bed with him, turn on a dim lamp, and play music. He would play with the toys for about 20 min...so I could either get up and get dressed and stuff or sleep a little longer.

@carrie1973 My 2 year old has done this since about 6-7 months old. I’m not sure how we managed to make this happen other than finding a routine and sticking to it.

He’s still in a crib and we have blackout curtains on one large window, just blinds on a small window closer to the ceiling so there’s some natural light in the mornings. We also would leave a couple extra pacifiers in the crib and that was always helpful in avoiding crying or a panic to reach one that fell out of the crib (helpful at night too). No night light. We have his hatch sound machine with no light but the sound turns off after at the same time every morning. Once that happens, he will stand or sit up in the crib in anticipation of us and that’s my signal to go get him.

@carrie1973 Honestly I think its just a phase. She randomly started doing it when she was 3. I cant remember how long it lasted but she is 4 now and once she wakes up, tortures us until we get out of bed.

A friend of mine recently mentioned her 3yo playing on her own upon waking… and a few weeks later it was over.

@carrie1973 My kid is almost 2 and just does whatever in her crib until I get her. She babbles, flops around, kicks the crib, whatever, but doesn't cry or anything. So I just sleep in til 8. I think she kinda knows when I'm about to get her bc of light threw her curtains. Of course, my real test here is going to be when I switch her to a toddler bed next month. I'm hoping with a play area in her room, she will just get up and play until I get her.