Does coughing in third trimester compromise abs? Caught a summer cold and feel so dejected.

rosenbloom

I’m currently 33weeks pregnant and honestly, I have nothing to complain about - I am so aware I have been really lucky and had a great pregnancy, but, I have a really vain worry that I’ve destroyed all the hard work I had put into preserving my abs by catching a summer cold.

I have seen a pelvic floor PT a couple of times and at 27 weeks, she confirmed I had no diastasis. I felt very smug but now, after a week of coughing and sneezing, I am super paranoid I’ve wrecked my línea alba and all the modifications I made have been for nothing.

I’ve strength trained x2 a week and ridden my peloton whenever. I work full time and have travelled a fair amount so I’ve had a pretty active pregnancy, though I am far from an athlete. I do deep core breathing and pelvic floor exercises every day.

I can’t find anything definitive online so hoping for some words of wisdom here: does a short term increase in abdominal pressure, (i.e. from coughing), cause major damage and undo all the work I’ve put in to minimising DR or am I over-reacting?

@rosenbloom Most of what I’ve heard comes from the Vagina Whisperer (pelvic floor pt) and the Belle method class I’m taking. It isn’t really adviseable it seems like to diagnose DR (or diagnose no DR) during pregnancy. Ab separation is totally normal during pregnancy as our bodies work to accommodate. What’s more important is avoiding adding additional abdominal pressure when possible and then assessing how things are healing after delivery. Coughing is totally hard on your body especially during pregnancy because it does increase abdominal pressure as well as pressure on pelvic floor. Unfortunately not a ton you can do about it as it’s hard to avoid if you’re sick! Be kind to yourself with where you are - your body is doing an amazing thing - and reassess after delivery.

@mariafrances Yeah I’m surprised that a qualified pelvic floor PT would even entertain diagnosing diastasis recti during pregnancy, especially during the 2nd trimester, when most growth happens in the last 3 months. Plus it’s kinda pointless because even if OP had a large separation, who’s to say it’s even an issue? Abs go back together postpartum, and if there’s still a big gap, that’s what the physio is for…

@rosenbloom life happens - we’re all gonna get sick and sneeze and cough. the same thing can happen postpartum, if you have allergies or something and your pelvic floor is weak it’s gonna put some extra pressure there. it sounds like you’re doing everything right and know how to manage pressure which is all you can do! this will definitely not undo the work you’ve done

@rosenbloom I know it's difficult to accept that our bodies can change and that pregnancy isn't exactly easy on our body. However, it sounds like you've done everything to get through this healthily, and that's all you can do. If you have a healthy core, a week of coughing isn't going to mess it up. Just try to take good care of yourself, and you'll be okay

@rosenbloom Occupational Therapist here and FTM! When you cough, try to sit down it will help! Many people develop DR after birth (could be superior, medial or inferiority located) but strengthening your transverse abdominal muscle isometrically can help! I hope the PT showed you that exercise and if not, I'd definitely reach out and ask!