Did you stop psychedelics usage after you had kid?

sheraymonet

I’m asking those who used psychedelics before having kids.

F.e. no frequent usage, weed once a month and psychedelics twice a year.
  1. Did it became a taboo after having kids?
  2. If not, how do you organize this? F.e. weed is not a big deal, but having an 8-12 hours LSD trip even leaving a kid with babysitter or grandparents…what if something bad happens and you have to be there?
  3. Also, is it hard to hide weed from kids?
  4. Should people not consider having kids if they don’t want to give up psychedelics for the rest of their life?

@sheraymonet We stopped smoking weed after we had kids. It didn’t become “taboo”, just we didn’t have time for it and we preferred to get high together. When you have kids, one parent needs to be sober. Neither my husband or I liked being high alone, but one of us needed to be fully there for the kids. Yes, it will be hard to hide it from kids. Eventually, they will find out. As they get older, you’ll have to get better and better at keeping the physical drug away from them. It’s over if they get into it. I don’t think it should completely put kids off the table, but if you value drugs over kids, that’s a problem.

@carlosmarx This is pretty much my view on drugs with kids. Personally I don’t have any drug experience like this of my own, however maybe I can relate in terms of alcohol, and I think that you hit the nail on the head. One parent must remain at least sober enough to take care of the children.

@richking58 Especially in case of an emergency. Someone needs to be clear headed, and also able to drive. That was always my concern. Long term, I wanted my kids to always have at least one parent they could have an 100% coherent conversation with, but it never got to that point because we stopped smoking before they could even talk.

@sheraymonet Yeah I stopped after having kids. Now they're older, I can ask my husband to be the sober one on the one or two times a year I feel like not being in my body.

Can't be blitzed if there's a fire and nobody is with it, or a kid needs help

@sheraymonet Nope, not at all. And no matter where I am and where my husband is, one of us must be able to rush to the children's aide at any time. Even if the children were with another person, or if one/both of us was away. We are 100% responsible for our minor kids at all times, if there is a problem, one of us must be able to handle it.

@sheraymonet It is not harder. I was not expecting it. I did not know I was pregnant until 7 months along. I had absolutely no support system. I clawed my way out of destitution, met my husband, got myself in a safe place to raise my son. Prior to the ex knocking me up, I was in emergency management, so is/was my whole family. So the responsibility was already valued, learned, and instilled? Which is lucky because I NEVER thought I'd have kids- per every doctor since I was 4. No clue what I was doing. But I've seen plenty of parents abuse and neglect kids by getting inebriated.

@sheraymonet We would maybe have a 'fun' night together when the kiddo was at his grandparents, but rn we have a 5mo who is nursing and I dont want to risk transferring anything to him. We do plan on doing something down the road but that is probably years away

@sheraymonet I may or may not have done shrooms when kid was young and away for the night and remembered a few hours in my kid was out there without me resulting in a very bad time. 0/10 don’t recommend

@sheraymonet I have a friend who used to experiment on a rare occasion and then went on to have kids. They've only done it once or twice in the 4 years since. They live close by to their families with whom they are very close. On the occasions that they have done it post-kids, the little ones have been with grandparents and my friends have gone away for the weekend. They 100% trust the grandparents because they are still relatively young, they're well experienced and have good judgement. They have stated though, that it's only due to their trusted village that this has been a possibility for them. Had they not had the help of close family it would be a closed chapter.

They've also said that while psychedelics never were a "priority" in their lives, it's even less so now. Having kids is a trip in itself.

The two times since kids worked like a recalibration for them more than anything.

Back