Clean Makeup Recs?

dwstamps

Hi! FTM to an awesome chunky 6 week old boy and now that I’m feeling more myself and 80% recovered from my C Section I’m trying to not look so haggard and would like to put some semblance of a face on when I leave the house. Most of the stuff I use I’m reading is toxic or not great on EWG and since I wear my baby a lot and obviously snuggle the shit out of him I don’t want my makeup to rub against his skin.

Any recommendations on clean brands to use for some medium hyperpigmentation coverage and just general basics (mascara, blush, eyeliner)? Extra points if they’re low waste (glass packaging, recycled shipping materials, etc.)

For reference pre pregnancy line up was Estée Lauder double wear foundation, Laura mercier concealer and setting powder, too faced mascara, KVD eyeliner and Milk blush/contour (which I think is semi clean?).

TLDR: need recs for clean makeup that won’t be bad if it gets on my baby’s skin.

@dwstamps I like the ilia foundation and concealer…I recently purchased the About Face foundation and it’s so good (not as clean as other things on the market, but some days I just want a more done up look). Honest beauty blushes are absolutely amazing and I love all of them. For mascara, ilia is decent and so is the double sided one from honest but nothing will compare with the ones that aren’t as clean…the market just hasn’t caught up there in my opinion. For eyeshadow, honest is fine but not the cleanest (depending on what you’re trying to avoid) but also not the worst offender. For lip products, my go to is the Burt’s Bees tinted lip balms (even before I went crunchy).

Crunchiness is a spectrum and you may find yourself more strict or lax for various products. I mix and match and am content with my products. I do recommend taking advantage of testers and minis because cleaner beauty products tend to not be as universally flattering as the conventional brands.

I recommend checking out mamavation’s site for recommendations and testing on various products. I also like the Yuka app for checking ingredients.

@dmel2016 Oh I’ve never heard of that app, I’ll have to DL it. I think I’m less crunchy for eye because I’m the least likely to rub my eye on the kid 😂 and I’m prone to looking like a raccoon but I do want to support cleaner, low waste brands.

Probably lip and skin are my most prioritized swaps right now. I gave away my Chanel and Shiseido sun care during pregnancy because of all the fragrance and they’rechemical sunscreens (avobenzone and oxobenzone) which aren’t good for you 🥲

@8erkid Oh I’ve never heard of RMS, I’ll look into it. As for Ilia I had no idea they were clean brand, I’ve seen it at Sephora but will need to check it out. Is there anything from them you like in particular?

@dwstamps I’m not the OP, but I have also used and liked both of those brands. I currently have the Ilia super serum skin tint, concealer, gel eyeliner, and the balmy tint lip color. I like and would recommend them all! I’d like to try out their eye shadow palette too, but I still have a conventional one I’m trying to use up first. I had a few RMS products a few years ago— I liked the un-coverup and luminizer, and tried a few of their cream eye shadows. I liked the colors of the eye shadows a lot, but ultimately my lids get too oily for cream shadow and it never stayed put. I have better luck with powder. Oh, and I still use RMS’s untinted loose powder & like it!

@dwstamps River Organics! They're clean and plastic-free AND you can order samples if you're not sure which tint/color you want. I believe they're woman-owned as well!

@dwstamps I’ve been trying Honest. Their mascara is not great, but I like the cc cream. It’s not as smooth as Laura Mercier but it works pretty well and I like that it doesn’t need a primer. I also like their eye shadow a lot!
A friend has been trying Haus (the Lady Gaga brand) and likes that a lot.
I didn’t care for Beauty Counter. It really didn’t blend.

@fahmel Do you get honest from their site or is there a store/retail location that carries them that has their products? As do Beautycounter, I’m skeptical because it’s an MLM…

@dwstamps Oh I wish I'd realized that about Beautycounter. I bought from their site.

Target is my go-to place for Honest, mostly because i can see the colors and i get 5% back with my target card! I've started using some of the baby stuff for me too (the balm is amazing) so it's nice to be able to get it all in one place.

@jesusishere Congrats! Hope you’re surviving newborn life more than I am lol. As for thrive causemetics what a cute brand name! Do you know if their eyeliner or mascara bleeds a lot I’m in SoCal and tend to get raccoon eyes when it’s warm

@dwstamps Haha she’s my third baby so I’m surviving! I don’t use their mascara but I can ask my mom. She does I think. I like the eyeliner though and it doesn’t bleed for me so far.

@dwstamps I use their mascara and love it - it's tubing, so no racoon eyes, just kind of peels off.

(I am 0% granola with makeup since I'm not a daily wearer, and didn't really register that they were a clean brand. Nice to learn!)

@dwstamps I love Araza Beauty! Literally the only foundation I’ve found that doesn’t break out my skin. I’ve tried their foundation, concealer, and cream blush and they’re all great

Back