Can someone give me information on parental ABO blood types and the different possible outcomes?

@emilyosu O+ and O+ can make either O+ or potentially O- (depending on genotype) but not B. Chimerism is a very rare possible explanation for an unexpected blood type. Far more common is infidelity (sorry to bring that up).

@crucker2 You are aware this is the mother asking? I think she would be aware if she cheated. So in this case chimerism or the hospital making a mistake make more sense than cheating.

Having said that, my secondary school used to do blood typing as a science experiment when learning about these things, but they stopped doing this because of people finding out through that that they were adopted and/or the result of infidelity.

@desaran Yep. I am O- and so is my husband. I asked why I had to get rhogam injections during my pregnancy (protects baby if mom is Rh - but baby is Rh +). They said because there was a blood bank study, and found that non-paternity (ie, the person reported to be dad wasn't actually dad) was about 7% of all pregnancies. 7!!! That's freaking insane.

@crucker2 Yep, this is occam's razor in a nutshell. Of course spontaneous mutations and chimerism, but they are incredibly rare compared to having a side-piece.

That said, O is recessive, A&B are equally dominant.

So O+A=A, O+B=, O+O=O and A+B=AB.

BONUS: Mum freaked out and thought I somehow have access to her medical records because I said she had bloodtype A. I don't. I just know dad has blodtype O and I gave bloodtype A so that makes determining mum's bloodtype something you need high school biology for, not medical records. Still not sure she believes me though.

@chumleypm Sorry should have clarified. When the genotype is A+O the phenotype is A. That is what I am referring to there. Not parent+parent=child. Too early in the morning for me to try to be clever, I only end up being confusing. x(

@chumleypm But I definitely see how it reads now and how you and probably everyone else got confused. So good on you for pointing it out.

Gotten less than 5 hours of sleep last two nights. I have tried Ferber and cry it out but the methheads in the flat above us just won't stop screaming or go to sleep.

@crucker2 I am positive that my husband is indeed the father, and that I’m O+. I’m tempted to get a blood typing kit from Amazon since I know how to do it already and it takes like five minutes haha. But he’ll definitely think I’m crazy when really I’m just curious!

@emilyosu My husband also remembered his blood type wrong haha. He told me he’s O-, but he definitely isn’t because I’m A- and our baby is rh-positive according to the blood work they do to check if I need rhogam or not, haha. (They don’t type the fetus/baby for ABO here, only Rh factor.) So now I don’t even trust that my hubby is type O. 😋

@funmilayo Yeah, my dad was in the Army so he had it tested and wore it around his neck for years and when they had my brother they still wouldn't take his word for it because people are very frequently wrong about what they are.

@livinggrace Haha, my husband was actually in the navy and also wore his blood type on his dog tags around his neck for a year… and still remembered wrong!! So I can’t blame them for that policy. 😂

@funmilayo My husband was in the Air Force for 7 years and halfway through he magically went from A+ to A- so who knows. He’s convinced his blood type changed but I don’t think that’s possible and it’s more likely a paperwork error lol

@livinggrace My husband was in the Army, they told him he was O+, it's O+ on his dog tags. I'm also O+ (Blood donor for decades now). When our son was born with A+ blood, I got the quiet "are you sure" talk from the doctor, which, yes, I was 100% sure. Husband was retested. Surprise, the Army was wrong, husband is A+. Good thing he never needed a transfusion during his service- although I guess it would have been fine for him to get O+... but definitely never trust Army docs.