Can’t Lose the Damn Weight - 2 Years Postpartum

@katrina2017 I tried metformin at first, but it made me extremely sick. Then they tried to get me munjaro, but it wasn't covered by insurance. Now I'm on phentermine. I've lost 35 lbs since December and am back at pre pregnancy weight.

@suz75 I have PCOS and struggled with weight before and after pregnancy. Phentermine has been so helpful that I have lost all the baby weight plus the weight gain before. I have no shame in using medicine (plus diet and exercise) to help because it has been such a life changer.

@morirach I probably could have written this😭. Exact same boat. Last year I lost 20lbs but had to go to extreme measures and when I went back to “normal” (working out 4x week, not counting calories/macros but aware of what I eat) I gained it all back. I feel like this weight is my new set point and that sucks. Idk if I can go through everything to lose it again.

@samarami That’s my exact fear too! That I’ll go through a ton of work to lose it and then 1 vacation and it’s all back. I don’t think I have it in me to just eat this disciplined for the rest of my life. My friends who don’t have kids do stuff like fasting or work out twice a day etc. I have a lot of stairs in my house and my toddler still isn’t fully capable of going down by herself. I feel like if I skip a meal I’m light headed and would drop her accidentally.

Why are we and society so hard on women? 😭

@morirach I know, I don’t even do anything crazy or go on vacation, because I haven’t even taken one. But if I stop counting macros and doing strict cardio I gain it all back. I also had a miscarriage and gained 10 more lbs within a 3 week period.

I’ve basically decided to just do my best for now and deal with it more firmly when I’m done having kids. My body just cannot lose weight with any kind of postpartum/pregnancy whatever type hormones. Hopefully when I’m a few years out of having kids it’ll be easier 😅

@morirach This is exactly what has been happening to me. I lost all but 10 lbs of the baby weight (TWICE) through extreme measures and gained it all back on vacations. I don't really know what to do. Other than something extreme, like OMAD forever.

The changes in the day to day, make is really difficult. Like my preschool had been closed for the week and instead of continuing my streak of intermittent fasting, I'm making freaking pancakes at 7:30am.

@morirach I'm in the same boat. 1 kid, she's turning 2, I have 20 lbs to lose and I'm short.

I'm trying to get back into working out but it's slow. Really, the only thing that works is calorie counting. But I tend to go overboard and then binge at night, when I finally get to sit for a second and I'm exhausted and stressed out about work, the house, etc.

@morirach It's so hard! I hear you.

I've had a struggle with weight especially since having my second, but perimenopause plus hormonal birth control, as hormone therapy, is also in the mix for me which is its own fresh hell around metabolism and weight gain (plus fat distribution). I've always been an active person, but realized that my old pre-kid habits just weren't/aren't serving me any longer. Also, I LOVE food (used to love nothing more than spending a whole day cooking some amazing meal), but I can't eat like that any longer.

So yeah, I have had to revamp what I eat pretty extensively. Big emphasis on protein, as others have mentioned; for me, that often looks like chicken, tofu, or salmon bowls (with a grain, beans, and veggies). It might sound bland but if you find some good sauces and dressings, it's great! I also count calories in an app (I use My Fitness Pal, which others have recommended), primarily as a way to stave off mindless eating.

For exercise, I've always been a runner but longer bouts of cardio aren't so effective for staying in shape. I do a lot more strength training now, and incorporate additional Pilates classes plus HIIT into my workouts. Still running, but making that more part of the mix instead of the sole focus.

@morirach I’m just here to be supportive (feel free to ignore if this isn’t helpful) - consider that you may well be sleeping far less for those two years vs normal, consider that your stress levels may also be up producing more cortisol in your body. The early parenting years are HARD and all of this is still very new for you in the grand scheme.

If I were you I’d try to focus on a) trying to let go of the idea of getting “back” to something- your body is always going to be different now that it’s done this thing but different doesn’t have to be BAD! And b) rest, stress reduction and exercise right now vs weight loss - they might help with the weight loss sure, but they could also have positive impacts in giving you more energy, mental health benefits etc. It sounds like you already work out quite a bit so maybe it’s honestly just allowing yourself some rest! Or trying other different types of workouts if you feel like your current thing has you at a plateau.

Anyhow, yeah sure make a side salad to go along with your kiddos pasta or whatever but I wouldn’t restrict yourself to just chicken and broccoli all the time. You want to demonstrate a healthy relationship with food to your kiddo and ultimately you’ll be out of these early years soon and you may find it gets easier once they’re a bit older!

My perspective comes from having a kid who was a terrible sleeper and breastfeeding until like 18 months at least at night so do with that what you will! Once I stopped breastfeeding and got through a slight IUD hormonal adjustment period every thing got easier and once he was PROPERLY sleeping even more so.

@morirach I'm not trying to 2000s diet culture you but are you driving enough water throughout the day? I understand that chasing after a toddler is definitely exerting but lightheadedness/dizziness sounds kind of concerning and not like it's necessarily that you need more food. Are you staying properly hydrated? Have you gotten a physical recently to make sure everything's looking good? When you eat are you having a mix of carbs, fat, and PROTEIN to make sure that you stay fueled?

@morirach Here’s my take. After you have the baby there’s the obvious genetic and hormonal components but in America anyway, you’re likely parenting with minimal to village. You’re maybe nursing, pumping, formula feeding around the clock- maybe all three. It’s work. If you’re partnered with a man you’re on a spectrum of married single mom to hands on coparent and spouse. Your faculties are dulled because as women studies show we already need an average of 9-10 hours compared to men who only need 8ish. Your body is taking physical tolls and your sleep deficit stacks up. As you go through the stages of toddlerhood and childhood, are you working full time? Do you have the time to cook nutrient dense, wholesome meals all the time? Are you able to afford the time to workout consistently as well? Catch up on that sleep? Drink the water? All while you’re mothering and adulting? That’s at baseline. Then you take into medical history, menstruation cycles, postpartum history, access to resources, SES etc. that impact and infringe on abilities. Now add on to that society’s insane standards of women bouncing back to a size 0 while working like they don’t have kids and parenting like they don’t have a job. Hormones are likely imbalanced, cortisol and adrenaline prob high, body in a state of maintained stress keeping the weight in a weird holding pattern. OF COURSE dropping the weight is so difficult for a lot of us. Moms, you’re all doing AMAZING!!

@morirach MyFitnessPal and set the calories to lose a lb per week and track the calories every meal, every day. The weight WILL come off (unless you have a very rare underlying medical issue).

@zwrrel This. Also, it doesn’t have to be an all or nothing thing, where you’re only eating chicken breast and broccoli and becoming lightheaded from lack of proper nutrition/restricting yourself. Eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring and you can make meals that both you and your toddler can eat. Other than tracking on myfitnesspal or lose it, I highly recommend wearing a fitness watch and looking up meals on skinnytaste. She has a lot of great, filling meals that are low in calories.

@morirach Same boat. I feel like I could live with the changes in my body but the worst part is how different my face looks. Thanks for posting, it has been helpful to read some of the comments here.

@morirach I gained 65 pounds with my first pregnancy. I was uncomfortable and exhausted all the time. After my son was born I decided I needed to take drastic action. It wasn't healthy but I went on an 800 calorie a day diet. Kept a food diary with calories listed per meal. Lots of eggs, tuna with lemon juice, capers and onions for lunch, grilled chicken with veg for dinner. No snacks, starchy carbs or sugar. I walked 45 minutes a day for excercise. I lost the weight after around 7 months. After reaching my goal weight I increased daily calories to around 1200 to maintain. Meal planned, small portions, grocery list based on meals planned for the week. Avoided tempting aisles at grocery store. It was so hard.

@tuy%E1%BA%BFt4634 The wording makes it seem like you’ve had additional children? Did you gain less? I gained 60 lbs with my first and am finally somewhat normal 17 months later. We’re trying to conceive a 2nd and I dread going through the weight gain/loss process.

@mikegray I have 2 boys 2 1/2 years apart. I gained 45 lbs with my 2nd but carried my weight differently than with my 1st because I was more active during my 2nd pregnancy.
The big difference is I was a SAHM with my 2nd pregnancy. I was still into daily walking, riding statonary bike and eating healthier since I had time to cook healthy meals. Plus the activity of taking care of 2 young kids and a home helped with weight loss. I did not count calories during pregnancy but ate a lot healthier than during my 1st.. Postpartum, I went back to counting calories and eventually lost the baby weight. It was hard but easier than my 1st because I was in pretty good shape with my 2nd. I had a desk job and ate whatever I wanted during 1st pregnancy. Both babies weighed 9+ lbs. It helped so much to stay active and eat healthy during pregnancy. I looked and felt much better with 2nd pregnancy. I learned what not to do by the time I got pregnant the 2nd time. I feel like I've had to be vigilant about weight gain since my 1st because I never wanted to be that big and uncomfortable again. I slept better with my 2nd, and had much more energy. My delivery was easy with number 2 also. For me, the 1st was really hard. No comparison. Just keep working out and eating healthy.
Good luck with your 2nd. BTW they are best friends now and it was so worth it. I was afraid too.

Back