Best Hygiene Products for Newborns

@computergal I'm not like other moderately granola moms in this area because I find that the marketing, pricing, etc for hygiene products can be very misleading. I mostly use what I would use on myself - I like single ingredient products like water, mineral oil, and vaseline during the early newborn stage, but have gotten swayed by Aquaphor soap and ointment. Basic unscented for everything else. I never needed diaper cream for either of my kids, I used Kirkland diapers and wipes.

@computergal I use Molly suds baby detergent (powder) and/or branch basics. Branch basics is a little pricier but I also use the regular all purpose spray to clean pump parts, bottles, etc. it’s safe for all things baby which I feel very comfortable with. The concentrate can be used for all purpose spray, bathroom spray, hand soap, laundry soap, etc. if branch basics is too pricey, I’ve also heard truly free is a great option.

As far as hygiene products, I personally use primally pure baby products. The baby bar is made with goat milk and is gentle on my baby’s skin. I also have used earth mama.

For diaper rash I use BLDG baby spray and it works like a dream. I also use the baby balm from primally pure.

Healthy baby and Joonya diapers and wipes are both great. I really like Joonyas wipes.

@computergal I use tubby Todd’s for lotion

Healthy baby for bath wash

Ecoriginals and Healthy baby for diapers ( and sometimes esembly cloth diapers). I LOVE ecoriginals. Healthy baby are kinda thin but good still.

Dirty labs laundry detergent

I use the ewg app a lot for products but also make my own decisions. Some of tubby Todd’s get marked down in ewg because of a scent or something like that, for example.

@computergal I purchased unscented Attitude baby shampoo/body wash and lotion for my baby. It’s affordable and ewg verified! i use a ton of their products, and I am never disappointed!

@computergal You don't need a separate detergent - the baby will be snuggled against your own clothes as much as their own. If the baby has a reaction and you need to change, you'll have to change your entire family's laundry as it is.

@computergal Babies don't really need soap for awhile after they're born. We just use warm water and soft rag for baths. Once she's actually getting dirty, like crawling on the floor, then maybe we'll start using soap occasjoanlly. But when you do start using soap, something gentle and unscented is best.

We use BioKleen free and clear powdered detergent. Dreft is a hard no. Basically anything that has fragrance is a hard no for babies.

We cloth diaper during the day and use thrive diapers at night. We use cotton cloth wipes at home, just wet them at the tap, and we use Honest baby wipes on the go.

Earth mama diaper balm is a no for me because it contains essential oils which can be irritating and harsh on skin, especially baby skin. Also lavender and tea tree EOs are linked to abnormally high estrogen levels which affects the growth and development of a child's sex organs and they are also endocrine disruptors. We use MotherLove diaper balm instead.

Check out @raisingwellkids on Instagram. They have a lot of helpful "swaps" posts, like swap this for that

@computergal I’d highly recommend checking out @just.ingredients on Instagram. She has a free baby guide with better options for babies and posts on the subject as well.

We personally used Honest diapers, wipes, baby wash and lotion (unscented) and their diaper rash spray. My son did have some dry skin so we switched to using Ever Eden protecting wash and lotion as well as their basic face cream for him (he doesn’t have eczema but the products we used are cleaner eczema friendly products backed by the national eczema association). Other good brands of baby wash/lotion and diaper rash cream that are cleaner are hello hello, piepette, babo botanicals, medela, attitude living and earth mama.

There is no perfect low tox disposable diaper option. They all have something that isn’t the best. Dr Yvonne Burkart has an Instagram post that shows good examples of this and does really good comparisons of different diapers. But some better options for diapers are Honest and Millie Moon, Coterie, Kudos, Dyper, and HealthyBaby. At the very least you could go with something fragrance free like Kirkland brand. For wipes Honest, Coterie, Healthy Baby and Mustela all have good wipes but again at the bare minimum I’d pick wipes that are fragrance free.

We honestly just use fragrance free detergent because I haven’t found a cleaner version I like yet. Baby detergent is really just a marketing gimmick. But you could look into branch basics, truly free, mollys suds or attitude living.

@computergal I use attitude brand baby soap/shampoo (called baby leaves), bottle soap c and laundry detergent. All is unscented and EWG certified. I also use aquaphor ointment for diaper area because it’s highly effective and has a pretty good EWG rating, an A I think. I do NOT and would not use dreft. I won’t be using soap on baby for at least the first month. It’s unnecessaey

@computergal We cloth during the day and disposable at night. We really liked Honest brand diapers when she was newborn but I think they changed their ingredients so you may want to look in to that. Now, we use Coterie and really like them! They're pricey but seem way more comfy and hold a lot of pee. We use either cloth reusable wipes or the honest brand ones.

We didn't wash our baby at all for a few weeks and even then didn't use soap right away. Now that she's a few months old, we use pipette baby soap and lotion.

@computergal I have severe eczema (when I was born I had such an intense reaction to the diaper that the nurse had to take me away from mom).

After years of trial and error the two soaps that work for me are Cetaphil bar (gentler) and Dove sensitive. Anything fancier that that and I get a big fat rash everywhere.

@computergal Vanicream is a little better than Cerave, but for my baby I settled on Mustela shampoo and soap. I tried a Vanicream cleanser, and Pipette, but both were too harsh. For moisture I use hexane-free shea butter and The Ordinary squalane. Motherlove has coconut-free diaper and nipple balms. For detergent I just use free and clear Persil or Tide; it's not the greenest but it works for me.

@computergal My mom insisted on Dreft until I showed her that it has fragrance in it. I think our parents generation fell to some special marketing they had! I just use tide free and clear. Yes, they have sensitive skin but you have so much on your plate getting ready for baby coming, I don’t think you need to rewash all the clothes unless it makes you feel better. They will wear something for not too long and then can be washed again in your choosing. I promise they won’t have skin issues from a little wear.

For diaper rash treatment, I’m using Triple Paste and like it.

For bath products, we’ve been using Pipette and like that as well.

My requirement is that any baby products have to be readily available at Target. So even if it’s not the perfect “crunchy” choice, I think convenience is worth it.

You’re doing so much but don’t let your self get overwhelmed by trying to make the perfect and healthiest decision! It’s a goal you’ll never meet. Just do what’s best without too much of a hassle to you.

@computergal Dreft is pretty bad especially when it’s made for babies, using anything unscented will probably be fine without having to get baby specific detergent. We use grab green baby detergent but I just always have and have been happy with it.

Pipette has great options for soap, even honest baby unscented isn’t bad but there are a lot of options. Dermatologists almost always recommend cerave, pretty sure they get some kick backs for recommending it.

As far as diapers go, both of those options are great - we especially love coterie but have tried virtually every low/non toxic option. Healthy baby is good but I like the way coterie feels much better although much pricier. For wipes we use Honest and have loved them, we also have a girl although I’m sure it doesn’t make any difference.

Earth mama is good for prevention most of the time, but does nothing in terms of healing a rash if it’s already started. Matys All Natural baby ointment also works as a great barrier cream especially at night.

As far as resources go, here has been helpful for me but if you’re on insta, try searching like “non toxic diapers” “non toxic baby care products” there are many many creators who post super helpful graphics to guide you in the right direction as well have frequently done the research to figure out which products are the best and why. Obviously not everything you read on the internet is true and definitely do your own research but I have found a lot of content to be super helpful!

Congrats!!

@computergal the best diaper balm and nipple cream is by motherlove. I buy them for every expecting mama friend and i almost alwaysss get a text at some point about how amazing this stuff is and how much better it performed compared to other diaper creams/nipple balms.

Back