Baby’s new pediatrician told us that formula has no nutritional value 😳

@etolkk123 I don't say this lightly, but your doctor is full of shit.

Most baby formulas in the US are fortified with iron. For this reason, anemia is actually less of a concern for formula-fed babies than for breastfed babies.

Nutritional needs for most babies are met by formula or breastmilk until 12 months. The amount of formula that you are feeding your baby is absolutely normal.

At 7 months hardly any babies are getting a significant amount of their calories from solids. The approach that you describe that you're taking is thoughtful and lovely and does not require any changes. You will slowly add more opportunities for your baby to have solids over the coming months.

Find a new pediatrician. This one isn't it.

@melzy Yes! The anemia thing is a big Wtf?! Breastfed babies need iron supplementation from 6 months on (through fortified cereal purées or similar), but formula is fortified already - that's why khaki green poop is so common in formula babies, it's the unused iron. Unless your kid has a bleeding disorder or malabsorption issues or something, anemia should not be an issue...

I think OP's intuition is probably spot on.

@melzy Came here to say exactly this! Anemia shouldn’t even remotely be a concern here unless the formula doesn’t contain iron for some reason.

@etolkk123 I can’t even follow the logic he’s trying to use. If a baby has been exclusively formula fed for months but formula has no nutritional value…how is the baby surviving? Sorry if that’s morbid, but that’s easily the stupidest thing I’ve heard a Dr say

@etolkk123 That doctor is wrong. Formula is so highly regulated to make sure it meets infant nutritional needs and, in fact, is a more nutritionally complete food than breastmilk is - breastmilk lacks sufficient levels of iron, vitamin D, and vitamin K, all of which formula is fortified with.

I would consider that doctor to not be a good fit, and also make a complaint about giving medically unsound advice.

@etolkk123 My baby has been EFF since birth and at 9 months he is still drinking 40oz a day of formula with 3 solids meals a day. I'm so sorry you dealt with this but I'd switch to a new doctor again.

How could a baby become anemic when most, if not all, formula is iron fortified?

Also to add that my son was 9lbs 10oz at birth, and is still 99th percentile across the board. He has never lost or platued his weight and this is strictly on Alimentum. That doctor is whack.

ETA also, my baby just turned 9 months and only just started actually ingesting a decent amount of solids within the last 2 weeks. He was slow to take to puree/finger foods and still doesn't have any teeth yet. Prior to this I'd say 90% of food offered to him was refused. Some babies just don't get enthusiastic about solids as quickly as others and that's okay. Solid food is one of the most stressful aspects for me currently because my son seems to be behind other babies with it, but he's making progress and I'm trying to just let him take his own time with it. I'm certain he will get the hang of it when he's ready. We've been making good progress as of late so I wouldn't worry about your baby at all. You are doing a wonderful job!

Back