Baby’s new pediatrician told us that formula has no nutritional value 😳

@etolkk123 Unless your formula doesn’t contain iron, the anemia piece is both bullshit and concerning that he doesn’t understand that it’s bullshit.

The babies who get anemia are the EBF babies who don’t get iron supplementation at 6 months and have crappy iron-containing-solids intake. In general, EFF babies do not get iron deficiency anemia unless there is another cause.

Source: I’m a pediatric hematologist and see a crap ton of iron deficiency anemia in EBF 15 month olds…

@ducmessi3792 Is it okay to give iron drops at 7 months for EFF babies? His previous pediatrician had prescribed him that and I am still using it. It’s not excess iron, is it? I give him 1ml daily.

@etolkk123 In general, most babies getting formula don’t need extra iron supplementation, but without knowing your baby’s whole story/being their treating doctor, I wouldn’t absolutely say that they don’t need it.

@etolkk123 The lactivist baloney knows no bounds.

Aim him at all the whacko LCs who claim formula babies will overeat and be obese for the rest of their lives. Maybe the two can destroy each other in one blow and leave the rest of us to feed our babies in peace.

@etolkk123 Just change doctors again. He sounds like an absolute ass.

My baby is on the bigger side 95 percentile. He is almost 5 months old and EFF. He drinks between 36-40oz a day.

I was a little bit concerned about the amount but his pediatrician told me not to worry that he was a big baby and he needs to eat what he wants, that over feeding a baby is difficult.

When I made the decision of EFF was hard but my mental health was trash. I talked to my obgyn and the pediatrician and they both told me to stop. That formula feeding is completely fine and that’s why it exists so babies that cannot breastfeed are able to eat and be healthy.

So yes… change of pediatrician please.

@etolkk123 No nutritional value?? How’s that even make sense? Lol. It’s not water, nor is it just plain milk. It is nutritionally complete, made in attempt to mirror breastmilk (which.. what’s in breastmilk is obviously no mistake).

A baby is more likely to end up anemic from being EBF, funny enough. Formula has a 1mg minimum requirement per 100 calories, and most go over that.

After 1 is when their main nutrients are meant to come from solid food, before then it’s about learning how to eat the solid food.

If formula was not nutritionally complete, babies wouldn’t be surviving lol. Like so serious, there would be a lot of dead babies from malnutrition. Pick up a can of formula, read the labels, look up minerals, fats, vitamins etc. that babies need to survive, and you’ll see formula has all of it.

He may just be trying to shame you. And it is absolutely ridiculous someone like that would be a pediatrician.

I’m so sorry. You’re doing nothing wrong, and everything you thought is absolutely correct.

@jay1969 Thank you so much. I did feel like I was being shamed. He asked me what brand of formula I am using and I told him Kendamil, to which he replied curtly, “There are so many brands now.” Like he was trying to say that he disapproves of formula.

Back