At the point of wanting to burn my ring sling

blessedj316

My beautiful hope&plum ring sling I have spent so much money on and SO much time trying to figure out. I’ve watched the tutorials, I did the consult with Mallory, I paid for a consult with a local babywearing expert, I practice putting my baby in like 4-5 times a day. I would say three times or so I’ve gotten her in and felt good. She gets so crooked. She’s so squirmy. Her arms bulge out in weird ways and no matter how long I spend threading the fabric it’s really hard to tighten in sections properly. Then she spits all over me and the sling right when I’m getting frustrated. Help 😭 will it get better as my baby gets older (she’s 4 months)? I am torn between giving up and moving on but I’ve invested so much into this lol…the hope&plum folks make it seem SO EASY, their docile little babies just pop into the slings in their videos. I want this for me! I also just don’t find the SSCs as cozy for wearing baby around the house. Did anybody else have a lightbulb moment where it clicked? Is the h&p hemp blend not as forgiving as people make it out to be?

Edit: THANK YOU everybody, I officially feel way better and less alone in my ring sling struggles! Gonna hang it up and try again in a few months 😊

@blessedj316 I liked my ring sling when my little was a week old potato at the 4th of July parade who just ate and slept and sat super high on my chest. Once she woke up and got squirmy, It didn't feel secure anymore. I might try it again once she gets a little more comfortable on my hip. She's a bit small for a hip carry at 3.5months, but has the head and torso control.

@blessedj316 Yes, this!! I barely used it when they were small but it's THE BEST for quick up and downs once you can do a hip carry. I have a 6 mo and a toddler and just this morning the toddler was just rambunctious enough that I didn't want to leave them alone together, so I put the baby in a sling to make tea, get the toddler his clothes, do all the little things at home.

@blessedj316 Honestly, I got a (cheaper) version of a ring sling and really wanted to love it. It’s beautiful, the fabric is soft and light linen, perfect for summer, fast to put on…

It got better. I was able to wear it far more comfortably, baby was far more comfortable. But was it ever “okay”, or “good enough”? No. The way the weight was distributed just never felt good for me. Fabric tended to dig into baby’s legs. As he got squirmier, it felt even worse.

I’m sure others have had better or different experiences, but I personally found it better to just move on.

@blessedj316 Honestly if you’re this frustrated I’d stash the sling for awhile and switch to something easier/with buckles. Try the sling again when your kiddo is bigger (they’re great for hip carrying a toddler, it’s not as crucial to get the support perfect on a kid who can stand/walk). It’s not helpful but it really does just take practice to get it down. It sounds like you’re not happy with the way a sling works and that’s fine too— baby carriers are like shoes (they are not ‘one size fits all,’ your favorite pair may be terrible for someone else).

I have a couple of ring slings, one of which is a Hope and Plum hemp blend, and they’re the last thing I reach for because they are slower to put on and you can’t really use your arms. A ring sling feels much less secure than a SSC with a seat and straps. I do think that fabric is nice and adjustable, so I don’t personally think that’s your issue.

Which SSCs do you have?

@pitcharan Yeah, I think this is a good idea. We used an Ergo stretchy wrap her first twoish months (at which point she already started feeling too big for it to not droop) and I loved the coziness/lack of bulk, which is why I really wanted a sling to work. I know there are some other cloth/wrap options like meh dais, which I may try at some point too.

For a SSC, I had gotten a Wildbird Aerial but just sold it because I found it to not be as great as the reviews made it seem and the aforementioned babywearing expert said it was a huge pain for switching from front to back carries. I just ordered a Tula FTG which I haven’t gotten yet but I’m looking forward to trying that. My husband uses an Ergo OmniBreeze and I use it from time to time, I just find it kind of bulky and don’t love how it looks to be honest.

I wish I had known how many options were out there before doing our registry, I would have just waited or done things differently but alas. I just really love babywearing but I think the sling may just have to wait. Thank you for your help!

@blessedj316 If you did the stretchy wrap, a Front Wrap Cross Carry with a woven wrap is a very similar tie. My little got too heavy for the stretch wrap to be comfortable at about 2 months, but the woven feels super secure. I got a cheap-o woven on Amazon (like 20-30$ USD) to see if I could handle it before investing in a nice, more expensive one.

Back