Anyone race a marathon?

albertyn

I posted in the r/running community too but curious to see if anyone else has marathon plans. I’ll be 8 weeks by my race date, I’m torn if I should race or just go easy. I’m only 4 minutes away from qualifying for Boston so the temptation is there. I ran my last 20 miler on Sunday and did my 5 mile tempo at 7:15 pace this morning and felt fantastic. I keep thinking how incredible of a story that would be to tell my child they qualified for Boston with me?? I know my body very well and I’ve been a runner my entire life. What challenges would you expect by 8 weeks?

@albertyn how far along are you now? I noticed my heart rate going nuts pretty early (5-6 weeks). Fatigue set in a bit after that, which I was able to run through first trimester, but my pace definitely suffered. just couldn't recover well and every run felt like an active recovery run after a long workout - just so much harder than I'd expect for the pace I was going, and feeling like my legs had nothing to give. ymmv widely though - you're speedier than I am, and every body reacts differently!

@bymy45 I’m 5 weeks now, I noticed heart issues at week 3 and actually thought it was the medication I was on lol. I haven’t had any more issues since though 🤞. So far I feel like I’m still recovering after key workouts very well... but time will tell. I could race next weekend (had a half planned) instead which I’m considering. I wouldn’t mind switching to the full, the course profiles are similar but I’d have less time for a proper taper.

@albertyn I would honestly think about next weekend. My fatigue really really ramped up as the weeks went on - you're still early so it makes sense you haven't noticed a lot! but you also might fatigue less in general, so it's a gamble either way.

@albertyn Also a marathon runner here - I'd give it a go, but I experienced extreme fatigue and morning sickness from about 6 weeks. I was also ridiculously thirsty and bloated early on. If you feel well - run it but I wouldn't even have a time in mind - just aim to finish.

I had a bleed at 6-7 weeks, that combined with sciatica (runs in the family in pregnancy) and ligament pain I chose to hang up my running shoes for the pregnancy. I'm now nearly 14weeks pp - having laboured to 9cm and having a C-section and I've start running again 4 weeks ago. It's amazing, but pregnancy has done a number on me, I'm doing the c25k program.

@tim1960 Cardio wise I am nowhere near where I used to be - but wasn't as bad as I expected. I have lost an awful lot of core strength and strength in general. I so feel heavy and clumsy whilst running - I still have 15lbs to lose and I don't think the lack of strength helps matters either.

I'm glad I'm taking things slow - the c25k program is helping me with this and I'll recover my fitness it will just take time.
I'm not planning on running marathon distance until 2023, though I probably will run a half, but it feels a long way off.

Good luck with your run - take it slow and don't be too hard on yourself.

@katrina2017 Thanks. Looking at the C25k program is a great idea. I never tried but now is the moment or never I guess. Good lunch with your half marathon. preparation. Just hoping I won’t feel too bad when restarting, but I’m longing my winter sessions in the nature.

@albertyn I would talk to your OB. They have loosened up a lot on heart rate rules (used to tell pregnant women not go go above like 160 BPM or something) but my doc (a runner herself) told me she’d like me to be able to talk while exercising (so not SUPER out of breath) and wouldn’t recommend running more than 10-12 miles. Your doc may have different advice of course, but I’d recommend just seeing what they say.

Back