Anyone else following the Possums sleep approach?

@worth Ha, here in the dame boat as you and also wondering the same thing. How did the Possums Method work out for BF baby who wakes every 2 hours since the 4 month sleep regression?

@youcantsitwithus I'm wondering if anyone has more suggestions re: keeping baby entertained, sensory stimulation especially ones that don't involve going outside. I got a little worried when I read in my Possums googling that indoors is a "low sensory environment".

I live in Canada which is freezing cold at the moment so walks aren't always in the cards everyday. I'm going to work on getting a better set up for cold weather walks but..

I find my baby loves a quick walk about in the yard, bird watching and playing with wind chimes are some of our go to's. Instant calm.

Looking for more ideas to keep him from the supposed boredom fussing, though he doesn't seem to be able to spend much time independently- maybe 5 minutes before screaming? So it seems I spend my days stimulating him and barely able to get a moment to eat or brush my teeth without him losing it.

What we are doing:

Reading lots of books

Toys- I have musical instruments and lots of neat wooden toys, he loves the manhattan skwish toy for example.

Jolly Jumper time up to 30 mins a day

Bath time- he loves to try to catch rubber ducky in the water, very focused play.

Music- singing and playing with rattles etc.

Baby massage

Tummy time

Finger foods

sign language and engaging in conversation

elimination communication

he is 6 months old now, for context. I find him too heavy to just baby wear all day, so I keep trying to set him down with something to stimulate him with no success. Now that I'm writing it all out, I think we are doing tons, but still super fussy and discontented. Outdoors seems like far superior stimulation, just presents some challenges this time of year.

@mvespa I actually can’t relate to the person I was a year ago who wrote this! It feels like those were the easy days, when I had time to contemplate his developmental needs, a different ball game now that he’s 20mths. Just keep doing your best and take the time you need to take care of your needs, cause my son still will not tolerate any independent play still and cries for me the moment I leave the room.
We now go to the pool and some kid friendly museums though to tire him out, that’s one suggestion I have.

@youcantsitwithus Interesting! Thanks for sharing! Most of it sounds exactly like what we do (have been doing since day one), except I didn’t know someone had named it 😂

I always figured, if he needs sleep, he’ll sleep and have also never capped naps (he just won’t stay awake longer than five mins before going back to sleep 😝). At 10+ months we have one nap days and three nap days, easy bedtimes, 1-2 night nurses (really, he wakes to pee and then wants boob for snuggles), and happy mornings, happy baby, rested parents. We nurse to sleep as it’s cozy and easy, but recently he is experimenting with popping off before asleep, snuggling, then sleeping all on his own. We haven’t had a struggle over sleep ever, and he ends up sleeping around 15/24 hours most days. It definitely helps that our lives are very much able to support flexible naps as it doesn’t matter when I do the things I need to do.

@andybrooks Thanks for sharing! I think the flexibility and flow makes for an overall better day to day even if your little one has some good weeks and some not so good lol the expectations put on babies and parents is really what makes it all so stressful.

@youcantsitwithus I've started following this approach with our 10 month old and am trying to reset his sleep patterns and circadian clock. We've been doing it about 5 days now but I am getting increasingly concerned we either aren't doing it right or it's just not working for him.

When you started using this did you find your baby's sleep got worse before they got better? Our little one was getting an average of 11hrs per day and is down to 9hrs 30 mins now.

Previously I was getting him to sleep until 7am but he would wake at 615 so I would bring him into bed and feed him in the hopes of getting him back to sleep for that last bit but he would just end up climbing around on me in a dark room until 7. Now I've been trying for 6am as a wake time and he's promptly decided to wake at 445 and feed for about an hour, which is so frustrating!

His daytime naps are now down to about 45 min total per day as he never really shows sleepy cues. How do you handle daytime naps, do you have to decide he's sleepy and put him down?

I feel like the possums programme is a bit thin on content, we bought the videos but they are really telling you the science rather than practical approaches for a parent to implement.

@rev320 Yea regarding Possums content, I think because they emphasize that each situation is different they hesitate to get super specific (also maybe they want to encourage you to set up a consult?) They have a facebook group (Pipps parents) that you can pay to join and get a bit more insight from parents who are following. Anyway, don't forget that sunshine and nourishing mental stimulation is a huge factor. I know it's not easy these days. Opening the curtains right at wake up, getting sunshine first thing in the morning (our house is pretty bright and often we'll do breakfast outside), and engaging in stimulating activities outside the house all play a role in how well they sleep.
Regarding naps, these days he's regulated (he's 14 months) but it's never at exactly the same time. Always between 12:30 and 2. So his sleepy cues include getting quiet and/or whiney. And sometimes it's an hour and a half, sometimes 45 minutes, and he's been in a leap so if he'll go 2 hours i'll let him. I try to remind myself how the day has unfolded near bath time because if he took a long nap, I'll delay bath time and bed time. If a short one, move those things up. And every couple months it needs a little adjusting because he's getting older and needs more/less/different things. Sorry I don't know if that helps at all!

@youcantsitwithus No that's helpful, thanks. My comment was grumpily written this morning as he's woken before 5am and then I have to battle him to get him back to sleep for a few minutes before waking him up...and 5am is definitely not going to be his normal wake time!

I've been getting him out in the buggy at least twice a day, rain or shine, and doing sensory activities at home as well. Do you find the time of day for getting out makes a difference?

Also, when you see his sleepy cues for naps do you then just breastfeed/rock to sleep to help him go or will he just drop off himself? My little boy has always needed help and I can't imagine him ever just falling asleep (except when in the buggy or carrier).

Today he dropped off in the buggy at about 10 having gotten up at 630, then stayed awake till 330pm when he suddenly got very whiny and tearful and then fed to sleep on me. I wonder if he doesn't know how to listen to his own body and tiredness and just wants to party all day!

@youcantsitwithus We've been doing this approach without even realising 🤣 Lots of noise, activity and stimulation during the day. Letting LO nap whenever and wherever she needs it whether it's in her sling, the car, the bouncer, someone's arms, my chest or the pram (I strictly supervise her during naptime for safety reasons unless she's in her bassinett which she actually hates during the day). She's 7 weeks tomorrow and typically only day sleeps for a total of 4 hours. This initially alarmed me, but once looking into Possums I realised if she's tired she'll take the rest, what she needs during the day is interaction and sensory stimulation. She literally fell asleep on me today while I was singing and dancing with her to 80s music so I don't really buy into the whole dark room/white noise advice for all daytime naps. I tried that method fruitlessly for two days straight and she got angry with me for putting her down when all she wanted was to interact. She sleeps very well at night usually going down around 9:30/10:30pm and sleeping through to 7am with two x ten minute BF during the night. I try to start our days around 6am/7am and this has really helped our night sleep too.

@youcantsitwithus Right?! My husband is so sweet every night I go out for a couple of hours to the gym and give them some daddy daughter time. I usually come home to him playing music and dancing with her as she stares at his face in a kind of trance until she falls asleep it's so cute. So grateful to Possums as it really aligns with a lot of the AP principles.

@youcantsitwithus I want to thank you for posting this!! I asked about this approach a few weeks ago but no one had any insight. I have a 6 mo with frequent night wake ups and I’m apparently doing everything by the book, but I refuse to let him cry it out, tried TCB/Ferber and it didn’t work.

I have watched some of the Possums you-tube videos and it all seemed pretty intuitive, but I think (am hoping) the piece I was missing is the naps thing! It makes so much sense that we need to keep their clock set to day time. My mother has been saying since day one that the blackout curtains were such a strange new thing and that she had never heard of that or seen it until I had my LO. So starting with the next nap I will start weaning the curtains. And turning down the white noise! And going to start being more proactive in the morning, starting our day with a consistent routine and as much daylight as possible (might be tough seeing as I’m in New England in the winter).

Again, thank you thank you! If you have any more insight please don’t hesitate to share!!