Am I being petty

kallim22

Background info: So I have my toddler full time for 90+ percent of a given month (mom not in the picture). A weekend or 3-5 days out of the month she stays with her grandparents (my parents) who are about 2 hours away. I have a group of extended family that we were connected while growing up. I haven't had a good relationship with them for many years, but we do support each other during hard times. I am single dad.

Basically I hear absolutely nothing of communication from the rest of the family to me ..total radio silence. Part of that is on me because In the past I have not wanted to be involved in some drama so I have intentionally stayed away and kept distance. Now as a result the whole family only communicates with my mom in regards to my daughter. all updates, pictures, video calls. And my mom only has her for 3-5 days a month. I thought I didn't give a shit about this situation, but I'm realizing its getting old and its both hurtful and makes me angry. The hardship of parenting is on me, but I am getting 0 of the social support. Meanwhile my mom is being "trophy" parent and taking the "glory" and I know she's presenting it practically like she's the one raising her. See now I feel like I am sounding petty. But it is genuinely disheartening that none of them asks me about my daughter, how shes doing, since I'm the one who actually knows. Or how I'm doing and how things are going as a single parent to a toddler. She's had some extensive health issues as well where I lived with her in the hospital last year that she's still getting better from. Not gonna lie I also feel partly its due to being single dad and not single mom.. if I was single mom alot of the past issues w my family would be swept under the rug on their end and they would be far more doting / connected etc. /Vent

Anyway I'm just being petty right?

@kallim22 Send the entire list of people a monthly update of your daughter. Be sure to mention the 3 days she was with grandma. You need to own the narrative and not communicating with them will only serve others interests. It's not petty to want to be recognized for your work as the actual parent.

That last sentence!! Wanting recognition isn’t petty at all.

My sons dad has come to visit 4 times in 8 months, never for more than a day and a half, never spent a night with his son, and asked if he can take our son to another city 5 hours away to introduce him to his family. No? I have no problem bringing him to meet the family but they’re also gonna meet his mom who does 100% the work 100% of the time. You don’t get to do nothing and then be Proud Dad. It’s the school group project thing all over again.

@kallim22 Parenting isn't something we do for recognition, but at the same time if there's recognition being thrown around it's definitely irksome when it's misplaced. I don't think you would be alone in being irritated by this.

@kallim22 For me, it does sound like your mom loves your daughter and grandmothers can overly dote. I assume the 3-5 days is for your sanity and to get a break? For me, I'd laugh and brush it off. Like someone said.. parenting isn't about recognition or awards. People will eventually realize who raised her and your daughter will know.

Parenting a toddler is extremely hard. I know people say this all the time, but it does get better. 0-4 was rough. 4-11 were magical.. my daughter and I did everything together: bike to parks, go camping, playgrounds, carnivals.. truly an amazing time.

When your daughter is going to school, you will be immersed with new friends, because of her friends' parents. Just hang in there and do what you're doing, appreciate the time and moments that you have and mainly only you have. Wouldn't trade those for the world. Instead of worrying about toxic extended family or your mom's time with your daughter, start thinking of adventures, things to do together, playdates, and enjoying what you have. If you want recognition, then start taking and posting more pictures. But I tend to focus on the actual "having fun" part.

@frater_domus Thank you. Your post definitely made me feel better.. She turns 3 next week so almost there :) Definitely can't wait til she progresses to talking in full sentences, being potty trained and all that good stuff.. so we can do all the fun stuff together like you and your daughter. but I also know then all those magical toddler moments will be gone forever too

@kallim22 Don't stress over her family - want a real horror story look a my posts in /r/singledads about my wife dying and leaving me with 4 kids. I have twins that are 2, a 5 year old daughter and a 14 year old stepson.

My wife's side of the family literally took him out of the house and insisted that he shouldn't live with me and haven't had anything to do with my 3 kids since.

People are nuts, focus on your own life and being as happy as you can with your daughter. Try not to focus on the maternal family BS.