7 year old using the N word

@chakra12 If you have made clear they are not words to be used and already punished your child, I would not continue to warn, I'd go straight to punishment. I think you are are already wrong by calling them "bad" words they aren't bad word they are adult words, they are not an adult and shouldn't be using them.

@loveneverfails777 I agree. When I use other bad words and they call me out I tell them I can use them because I am an adult like I can drive a car or have a job or pay bills or other things only grown ups can do but I dont use that word and neither can they

@chakra12 Idk why everyone seems to think I'm justifying using the word, I'm not saying they should use the n-word, but if you make a big fuss and call it a bad word, now it's funny and your child will use it because it gets that reaction.

@chakra12 It is probably time to have the race conversation with her; she most likely doesn’t understand the depth of the word and probably heard it in music or within popular culture.

She’s probably too young to understand the full dynamics of the word from origins to 21st century, but a) needs to know the origins and b) is way too young to be using words like that anyway - even if part of the demographic in which it can be seen socially acceptable to use it.

@chakra12 I would try and make it clear that this isn't just a bad word that people don't like to hear, it's a word that really hurts people, it's an unkind word, and hopefully she doesn't want to be unkind to people and hurt people.

@chakra12 I would find an effective disciplinary action and use it until she breaks that habit. That word will infuriate people now but the older she gets it will be worse for her to make that decision. Hate speech is a terrible thing and legally punishable at a certain age

@chakra12 At age 7 the consequences might need to be more than a time-out.

I'd suggest the loss of privileges (TV on the weekend, etc.) something along that line if the initial time outs aren't getting through.

@chakra12 Are there any word that would upset her if you used it towards her?
Maybe it’s easier to feel empathy towards others if she can identify that emotion.

If she can feel it herself it’s probably easier to understand that words have the power to hurt others, and that being reduced to a word because of how you look will make the person that’s the target feel bad.

I find that kids will usually listen and accept what you tell them if you take the time to have a normal conversation about what worries you.
If they feel that you’re just telling them what to do, or just show an emotion, it’s harder for them to accept it.