15 yr old & menstrual issues

@nmb
The basis of her opinion is presumably her lived experience as a woman.

She described no such experience like the one affecting her daughter. In fact, if she did have such an experience, she surely would have mentioned it. You're reaching if your effort to be sexist.

@notatrollreally my daughter has had her period for about the same time duration as your and it's still somewhat irregular. This is normal.....I remember mine didn't actually stabilize for like 4-5yrs....and even into adulthood, it sometimes went weird!

wrt weight -- could be a bunch of things....if she's eating mostly junk (at school/late night snacking etc) and not getting enough exercise. This could also contribute to the acne. Also remember that it's very normal for teens to have acne due to their shifting hormones but can be exacerbated by their diet. Overconsumption of dairy and junk food/sweets make my teens break out/gives them closed comedones. The dairy doens't affect my son as much but definitely affect my daughter.

if you want to check if what she's eating is giving her more acne than usual, evaluate what she's eating and test it out -- reduce sugar and dairy consumption for at least 3wks. You may also see a decrease in weight if you do this but definitely get her moving more if she is mostly sedentary.

@katrina2017 She plays on two soccer teams (so near daily exercise) and we keep a pretty healthy house in terms of food and snacks. My hubby is a bodybuilder and I do workouts at home, plus all of the cooking. Not trying to sound obnoxious, but we're pretty dialed in to eating balanced meals and getting activity. That's why I worry about the extra weight (it impedes her soccer conditioning).

@notatrollreally Ok to counter anecdote with anecdote… my period was also irregular for years. It was also incredibly painful. Long story short, I have PCOS confirmed by ultrasound. My life would have been significantly different had I known that at 15 instead of 25.

@notatrollreally The mood swings seem normal for a teen and it can take a few years for cycles to regulate but what you're saying also sounds a lot like how my PCOS presented itself when I was in high school. I didn't get diagnosed until my late 20s because I had several OB-GYNs push me off. I would go to a new GYN - maybe look for one who specializes in PCOS and other endocrine issues - and ask specifically for them to check. Alternatively you can get a referral to an endocrinologist. If it's actually a pituitary or thyroid issue they'll be able to assist with that too. FYI there's no treatment for PCOS, just management. Usually that means birth control and keeping your weight at a healthy level.

@brendabree Thank you!! We saw an Ob/Gyn last year who specializes in teens and young adults so I have an appt to see here again in November as a follow-up. But I may also look into seeing an endocrinologist on the side as well.

@notatrollreally It's different for everyone. I've known people who were pretty regular from the start. For some, that never happens. I had a hysterectomy at 27 but up until then mine still never got regular, even after having 3 kids.

@bernard_the_seagull I've heard this....but it sounds like my daughter's periods aren't heavy. In some cases, they only last 1 day. I'm not against the idea of putting her on BCP but I just want to make sure we're addressing the right issue.