5 months pregnant, just found out 3 car seats will not fit in my CUV. Can’t afford a bigger car. Freaking out

@mwylcxca97 We had to sell our cx5, all of the carseat options we tried were such that they forced the front passenger seat almost all the way up to the dash. I was riding with my knees in the dashboard, it was so dangerous.

@mwylcxca97 I have a cx5 and fit 3 across in a couple combinations: initially, my toddler was rear facing in a Graco extend 2 grow and my twins used infant seats with bases - all rear facing. We eventually flipped my son forward facing in his extend 2 grow and got my twins the Graco slim fit convertible seats (whichever one is meant for 3 across) when they outgrew the infant carriers. So now we have one FF and two RF convertible seats in the back. It’s super tight and I had to use the belts to install them (not the latch system). You’re right that the driver and front passenger seats have to be moved up a lot to make it work.

It’s not ideal, but it functions and I feel the seats are installed safely. Getting a new car wasn’t on the table for us when we found out about the twins, so we did what we had to do. The car was a huge stressor for me leading up to their arrival and I wish I wouldn’t have stressed so much because it’s been fine…uncomfortable but fine. My lease is up next month and we’re getting a van. I can’t wait!

Edited to say the only convertible seats that make this doable in the CX5 are the Graco slim fits or the Diono, which was over our budget. If my toddler had a slim fit as well it would be better, but we kept his original bulky thing.

@mwylcxca97 We have a Mazda cx 5 and I did determine we could squeeze in 3 across. For the infant stage we had the chicco keyfit 30, then after they got bigger the graco slimfit3 lx. It is a tight fit though. We primarily drive a Honda odyssey now. The cx5 doesn't have enough room for most double strollers.

@ladydaffodil I don’t know about fitting in CUV’s cause we have a van but i 2nd the Diono seats! We have them for our triplets.
Also we had a period of time where we had to use 2 cars just to go anywhere because we didn’t have enough seats vs ppl

@ladydaffodil Are you using a booster at all? We also have a Rav and I've been struggling to find a highback booster that will fit in our Rav with access to the seatbelt.

Our twins are rear facing (and will be for a long time) while our oldest is just about to outgrow the height in his Clek Foonf. He's been using a high back booster in my husband's car for a while.

We bought the Clek's for the 3 across but are now realizing that with them 3 across, it's nearly impossible to reach or access they seat to clip him in/out.

@psalmbook are you willing to sell your cell foonf?? we are currently pregnant with our third and i’m stressing to get car seats since we’re on a tight budget and before we get another car we plan to get a house first so i’m trying to make 3 car seats work in the back row 😭 i have a 2 years old almost 3, 1 year old, and im due in october 🥹 we have a Kia Optima

@mwylcxca97 We have an Renault Clio (small car) and are able to fit 3 carseats. We have 2 maxi cosi's with Isofix and in the middle a carseat for a toddler in the seatbelt. I've been looking for the smallest carseat ever and found the maxi cosi nomad plus. Maybe that will fit in your car as well?

The alternative would be to put one maxi cosi in the front seat with the airbag turned off. Problem could be fitting 1 adult in the back. Or maybe it's not a problem if you don't necessarily have to use the car as an entire family. I'm definitely not planning a large trip in the first year, so a small car that can fit me or my partner and 3 kids is fine.

@the_journey Me too! It's not ideal though, would love to have a bigger car in the future.

The smallest carseat is comfortable, but not for napping. We only do short rides now. But when we visit family it's an 3 hours drive and she would always sleep a few hours. In her former chair (we call it her throne) we could pull it back a bit so she could sleep comfortably.

@mwylcxca97 We are going to do 3-across in our sedan with a booster and two infant seats for the twins.

I really recommend joining “car seats for the Littles” group on Facebook, they have lots of expertise and car seat techs answering questions, and can recommend certain seats that should fit all your kids. I hope you can do 3-across!!

@mwylcxca97 We purchased a mini van for our primary family car and put three across Dionos in our sedan. We waited until Target was having a their trade in event, but we still probably spent $800 or so just in car seats. We have bucket/infant seats in the van and would not be able to function without them. It sounds like you may need to get a larger car.