5 months pregnant, just found out 3 car seats will not fit in my CUV. Can’t afford a bigger car. Freaking out

mwylcxca97

Ugh. I have a forward facing toddler and I just realized that my small suv doesn’t fit 3 car seats. We have convertible seats but I don’t even think the infant seats will fit. What are you all doing!? People that have twins and triplets?

@elise82 Slimfit3 LX is their actual narrowest seat. Not to be confused with the Slimfit LX 3in1.

Both models are on the same Amazon listing if that’s where you’re shopping. You select a different color and the model actually changes. Be aware!

@kidcrash This! We used two Slimfit LXs in multiple cars with a Joie Everystage then a Graco Junior Maxi R44 as that was the slimmest tall-backed booster we could find as welll. We've finally managed to grow into a backless booster and two of the tall Graco boosters.

My one tip for 3-across with boosters is to get buckle-extenders so the buckle sticks up above the bottom of the booster instead of rummaging around every time. You can find them on Amazon easily enough in multiple lengths.

@deacondrew This is what we had to get for my little car for our three kiddos!! I panicked too and didn't want to have to get a new car. We will plan to get a bigger one down the road when kiddos are in late elementary school/middle school, but for now keeping our compact sedan.

@deacondrew I use a diono in the middle of two Graco car seats in my 2020 honda accord. It's slim, but as your kid gets tall and longer you're really stuck either having them uncomfortable or converting it to a seat belt booster earlier than you should. I wouldn't get a diono if you're taking long car trips.

Also, I don't like how as a booster the diono doesn't use anchors. They are HEAVY and I feel like in a front end crash that extra weight can't be good to add behind your kid.

@mwylcxca97 we’ve got 3 under 2 (in april) so they all need to rear face. we ended up having to buy new seats but it’s cheaper than a new car.

britax poplar for our (almost) 2 year old, and britax willows for the twins. all 17” across and fit in my equinox.

DO NOT GET DIONO! they’re clunky front to back, and they change their installs SO OFTEN it’s so tricky to do it right. get the graco slimfit lx3, it’s the same width but not a pain in the rear brand to deal with and install.

@mwylcxca97 What kind of CUV do you have?

Way cheaper to get new car seats than shop for a car (though used vehicle prices are finally coming down too). Look for narrower car seats; our Diono Radian 3R are meant for 3 across, and we just have a RAV4.