3 months - 6 months. What I wasn't told about

peach79

I have submitted a couple of these since my boy was born and I hope they were helpful. Here is what I wasn't told about with months 3-6.
  • Teething sucks. Just when you got your sleep routine down and your little one sleeps through a couple of nights here and there BOOM teething. He's back to waking up 1-3 times a night fussy, in pain and just not happy. Tyenol, frozen chew toys, Orajel all help. That look that says "help me" will break your heart.
  • You thought the visitors and request for you to visit would slow down. Hahaha no.
  • Holidays were fun. But much more stressful than I expected.
  • College Football season came and went. I expected to watch about 50% of games that I used to watch. It was more like 5%. I got to watch my teams games and that was it. I fell asleep during halftime of last nights NC game.
  • One of our best decisions as a couple was to eat dinner after we put him down for the night. We got to relax with each other and enjoy it much more.
  • Babies's appetites are fickle. Our guy at 4 months started and loved baby food. The past month he clenches shut and gags anytime we get any food past the lips.
  • Create a shared photo album ASAP and invite everyone who asks for photo updates. BAM upload what you want and you are set.
  • Cleaning poop gets easier. Blowouts don't phase me anymore.
  • Children are expensive. But not as much as I expected.
  • That 2 hours you have when you get home from work and when he goes down fly by. But I enjoy every second of it more than I could have ever imagined.

@peach79 side note, if you trust google, use google photos... 1 year from now, you'll get automagically prompted to revisit these pictures from time to time, and you'll have "remember these days?" moments

@peach79 What's awesome about a 6 month old is that Ibprofen is a 6 hour dose. Also we found ice chips and the occasional popsicle helps with teething. My oldest is 18 months next week and is still cutting teeth.

@imasinner I'm an Android user but my wife and her whole family use Iphones and the Photostream feature. Unfortunately you have to be a Iphone/Ipad user to be able to access it. They have a separate stream for all the kids in the family.

The convenience of that is almost enough to make me switch to Iphone before our Nugget arrives in June.

@juanwood Photostream can cause major storage issues — there's no way to "archive" or follow without syncing so devices backup the entirety of the stream. My SIL had to stop using it because everyone unsubscribed : (

@imasinner I'm not sure about sharing. You can always redownlosd them and send them or use them for whatever you want. I guess I misread your question a little bit. We store them there so we can free up space on our phones.

@peach79 in 18 months:

Teething sucks. Just when you got your sleep routine down and your little one sleeps through a couple of nights here and there BOOM teething. He's back to waking up 1-3 times a night fussy, in pain and just not happy. Tyenol, frozen chew toys, Orajel all help. That look that says "help me" will break your heart.

Still happening, but less frequently. Molars are coming in. Now he can say "mouth hurts".

You thought the visitors and request for you to visit would slow down. Hahaha no.

Getting better after a year but now you have to schedule playdates with parents of kids from the same daycare you never heard of (thanks god they are cool)

Holidays were fun. But much more stressful than I expected.

Flying with a 3 - 6 months old is a breeze. Flying with a 2 year old can be a huge pain in the butt.

College Football season came and went. I expected to watch about 50% of games that I used to watch. It was more like 5%. I got to watch my teams games and that was it. I fell asleep during halftime of last nights NC game.

That gets better. Not yet at the age where the kid will be interested in watching football with you yet though.

One of our best decisions as a couple was to eat dinner after we put him down for the night. We got to relax with each other and enjoy it much more.

Still the best decision, unless we all eat the same thing and then we have dinner together and relax afterward.

Babies's appetites are fickle. Our guy at 4 months started and loved baby food. The past month he clenches shut and gags anytime we get any food past the lips.

Try as many things as possible and go back to the same flavors on regular basis. What doesn't work one day may work the next. At 2, if it's remotely green, the kid won't eat it. If the kid doesn't want what you offer them, give them 1 alternative but not more.

Create a shared photo album ASAP and invite everyone who asks for photo updates. BAM upload what you want and you are set.

Private Instagram here

Cleaning poop gets easier. Blowouts don't phase me anymore.

Blow outs stop after 1 year, the smell increases gradually though.

Children are expensive. But not as much as I expected.

... So far.

That 2 hours you have when you get home from work and when he goes down fly by. But I enjoy every second of it more than I could have ever imagined.
I agree. I ended up taking 6 weeks off (FMLA) when my guy was around 9 months old. That was the best time of my life, even if it was a lot of work. I recommend highly.

@peach79 Thanks for sharing. My wife recently read something regarding this:

Babies's appetites are fickle. Our guy at 4 months started and loved baby food. The past month he clenches shut and gags anytime we get any food past the lips.

According to the book she's reading, written by a doctor that specializes in the area, it's important for the woman to eat as many diverse foods as possible throughout pregnancy to prevent fickle eating. I don't know what scientific proof there is to it, but an interesting theory regardless.

@richardc12 We are did "Baby Led Weaning". Basically started to give our baby solids really early (like 4 or 5 months). Mostly just played with it, but it taught her how to chew and spit food out and not gag on it. She is 12 months old and on a 90% solid diet and eats EVERYTHING. Indian food, steak, pork chops, zuchini, peas, brocolli, fish, anything.

@richardc12 With our first, we really worried about what she was eating and how much. With our second, we've made sure healthy food is available and he either eats it or he doesn't. Some days they will eat like little piggies and some days they won't have any appetite. It's normal, and I wouldn't worry at all if a 6 month old lost interest in food. When they're hungry, they'll eat. Their preferences will change often as well, especially as babies. Some kids will eat just about anything, and some won't seem to like anything. Just make sure there is healthy food available, and that the parents are modeling a healthy diet as well, and if there are concerns, talk to your pediatrician.

@pichaelmoon Travel, visiting, shopping, coming up with a list for the minion, etc. Basically all the things that make them normally stressful but throw in a screaming poop machine.

@peach79 Mine's 6 mos and I can confirm OP's findings. Also, I never thought he'd be able to wrestle with me for things. He literally will try too pen my arm down and push my face away to get at my phone.

@peach79 My little boy will be 1 Friday, and man you've gotten through the hardest part of that babies first year so congratulations. Visitors/requests have slowed a little, but as far as TV goes man TiVo/DVR or on demand is now your best friend and will be for awhile. I got lucky my little man loves Star trek and cartoons from the nineties. Also he's only going to get more interested in your phone.