3 day old baby feeding only 1 to 5 mins at a time

aliaconnors

I don’t know what to do and how not to mess it up.
My baby is 3 days old. Started sucking immediately after birth in the hospital, for 10 to 15 mins at a time. Had 2 wet and 6 poopy diapers in her first day of life. She clusterfed the second and third night. But now that my transitional milk is coming in, she barely eats. I try to wake her up, but she falls asleep less than 3 mins into the feeding session.
My breasts are soft and larger than before, but not leaking. My nipples are fairly okay. Her latch looks okay too when she wants to eat.
I fear that my milk will never come or settle if she doesn’t eat, I fear she will start loosing weight.
What do I do? Pump and bottle feed? Supplement? Try to wake her up more (how)?
I feel so weepy and overwhelmed.
Any guidance is appreciated.

Thank you.

@aliaconnors Normal normal normal! As long as there are enough wet and poppy diapers everything is good. You can help her with massage while feeding, getting her naked beforehand, changing diaper between.

She may be more sleepy because she is satisfied. If your milk does not come in within a week of birth and she isn’t having enough wet diapers that’s when you should think about a different plan. I’m a bit confused - your milk is either in or it isn’t. Any white means you’re milk is in. Take multiple hot showers a day and that will help if it’s not there yet.

@aliaconnors Count the diapers, you need to call the doctor if you don't get enough diapers per day for the baby's age.

Day 3: 2-4 wet, Day 4: 4-6 wet, day 5: 6+ wet.

Unswaddle and undress baby while feeding. They can be just in a diaper while eating too help stay awake. Tickle their feet. You can compress, squeeze the breast while feeding to make more milk come out. Feed the baby at least every 3 hours, more often is fine too.

It might relieve some anxiety if you try pumping once and give that to baby. Once you get everything connected, verify your nipples in the right spot, etc. Cover the bottles with clean socks so you can't see how much you make. It won't be much because the baby already ate, but it's still worth giving baby a tiny top up with pumped milk. You can give formula too if you're low on wet diapers, no need to feel shame, just pump 15 minutes since your boobs will be doing 1 less feed that day.

@aliaconnors Do you hear baby swallow during the feed? Mine was nursing for 1 to 5 minutes at a time too but he was taking a lot because i had a strong let down. He never did long feed except if he was hungry right after i pumped. You could try hand expressing in a spoon or little cup and give to baby to see if he would take a top off. Seeing a lactation consultant would be a good thing to make sure everything is fine.

Edit: i was pumping after the feed to make sure that i would have enough milk. Now i have an oversupply and am dealing with pump at almost 4 months pp to prevent mastitis. I would rather have an oversupply though, i had supply issue with my first and hated triple feeding, but that’s me.

@aliaconnors Do you have an appointment coming up with your pediatrician? The drastic increase in sleepiness sounds worrisome to me. The doctor's office should have an advice nurse line or be able to schedule an urgent care or same day appointment.

It makes sense you feel overwhelmed, you shouldn't have to be dealing with this alone. Start with her doctor and if feeding troubles continue, look into lactation support.

@aliaconnors I'm guessing she's not having enough wet and poopy diapers or you wouldn't be asking? Not sure if you're already trying this, but undress her down to diaper and generally make her uncomfortable, to really wake her up before latching. You can also massage your breast while she's nursing to help with flow and keep her awake and interested.

Do you have a pump just in case?

@wpcrowther I have a Spectra S1 which parts I have only washed but not sterilized yet. I haven’t practiced using it either and feel like a fool now. When is the time to start pumping?

@aliaconnors You're 3 days in, please give yourself some grace while you and baby both learn this new, hard thing neither of you have done before! You're absolutely not a fool.

You can sterilize them if you want to have them ready to go in case you need to start pumping.

After baby nurses, how does she seem. Does she look milk drunk and content? Does she wake up 30 minutes later, hungry again?