Working Out Post C- Section?

jamil

Hello all! I had an emergency c- section 2 weeks ago and have been thinking about what exercise will look like after my 6 week recovery. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for what exercises to do, intensity, running/ cardio, e.t.c, especially ab related exercises? I'm very nervous about safe ab work after surgery but would like to trim the baby fat. I'd love to hear what you did to get back into a routine of sorts.

@jamil Always check with you doctor for clearance first... I started with walks and then moved up intensity from there slowly.
I think usually for a c-section your looking at closer to a 12 week recovery time though.
It’s okay to be gentle with yourself on your way to recovery!

@jamil I started with walking daily with the stroller and that helped a lot! Once I was cleared, i continued the walks and pretty much did prenatal type workouts (low impact, lighter weights) until I felt like I could handle more! Take it slow and it will all be worth it :)

@jamil Expecting and empowered on IG is having a webinar on recovery after a c-section tomorrow if you’re interested! They have a lot of info frequently relating to the subject as well.

@jamil I did short walks daily during the 6 week period, after that I did the 21 day fix program, so about 30 mins of cardio/ strength training most days and then did other at home workout programs after I finished that. I found I was ready for exercise after the 6 weeks, I didn't have any issues adjusting back into it, but experiences can vary. I think you will have a good idea of where you are at after your 6 week post surgery doctors appointment and they can best advise. Good luck!

@jamil I didn’t have a C-section, but started on some really gentle core activation (basically just deep breathing and pelvic floor relaxation) pretty soon after delivery. Gradually stepped it up from there with very light core moves over the next few weeks. You can find weekly postnatal recovery workouts on YouTube , but also agree that seeing a PT for an individual assessment prior to exercise could be a good idea.