Which transition was hardest?

@texan2 0-1 was the hardest for me. 1-2 was ok and 2-3 has been fine too. I won't say it's a breeze because there have definitely been some tricky moments but overall it hasn't been too hard to adjust. I am finding it overwhelming now though, all my kids are under 5 with the littlest being just about a year old. They are learning to walk and crawl and have more independence and I am so run off my feet. I get nothing done anymore and I am very burnt out. However, I regret nothing. I would like to have one more but I think my husband and I are definitely done. Best of luck for whatever you decide.

@texan2 1 to 2 was actually easiest for me, personally. 0 to 1 was really really hard for me. 2 to 3 felt easy at first, but as the months have gone by I’m not so sure. I don’t feel like I can get anything accomplished around the house anymore, especially now that youngest just started walking! Maybe it’s their ages (4.5 and younger).

@texan2 1-2 was the hardest. I think it took a good month or two trying to figure out how to do anything with a toddler+newborn. Newborn crying and toddler tantrum. Two in nappies. How to do anything while breastfeeding (calm toddler, read board books, toilet training, open doors) and the logistics of going places and not having enough hands.

Any additional baby after that was essentially going back to that dynamic. When we had our third, we had a 3 year old and a 21 month old. For the most part, they functioned as a unit and the baby was the separate entity that needed different help. eg little kids ate at the same time, same foods, same needs, bath and bed routine together, but the baby was separate in needing feeding, swaddling, settling, naps.

3-4 same transition, except probably slightly easier than 2-3 because not only have we had a lot of practice doing the newborn+toddler thing, but the kids were almost-5, 3 and 20 months. A 5 year old can help with the others (or just entertain them!) better than a 3 year old could, and just generally more independent.

4 is perfect for our family. Happy to be done and feeling relieved :)

Good luck!

@texan2 1 to 2.

2-3 had its challenges but nowhere near as bad as 1-2 did.

Every baby added on top of that seemed to be no big deal for me.

Edit: I'm expecting my 6th

Back