Which transition was hardest?

@texan2 0-1 was probably the mostly personally jarring. I was used to living for myself, and then all of a sudden I wasn't the center of my own life anymore, and that was a difficult transition. 1-2 was hard but not as bad as either 0-1 or 2-3. Our 3rd baby was a very high-needs baby, so that didn't help things. After 3, they haven't really felt like much more, tbh.

@texan2 3 kids was my hardest. Personally I avoid odd numbers because someone is always left out. We added the fourth 8 months after the third and it was crazy but better that everyone had a friend

@katrina2017 I should have said it better.
We fostered so we had previous various amounts of children and when we got to three there was always issues, at 2, 4 or 6 not as many. So when we knew we were having our own kids we decided make sure there’s more than three. But the timing of the kids was a shock.

@katrina2017 Our kids are now 7, 4, 3 and 2 and one deceased infant. Having four is easier in my opinion the big two play together and the little two play or the girls oldest/youngest and the boys play and sometimes they all hang together but everyone has a pal!

@texan2 I feel like this depends on the personalities already existing and the difficulty of the environment. We have 4, and personally, baby 4 has been the hardest for me. But we also are crammed into a tiny space as we build a house, and so much of my day is taken up with the logistics of house building, homemaking, home schooling, and farming that I feel like adding this baby took me over the top in terms of what I could handle. Oh and there’s that whole pandemic thing too (she was born early this year). I prioritize the kids’ well-being over all the other tasks on my to-do list but those tasks also don’t do themselves, so it always feels like I’m behind in some way. Plus my husband is insanely busy with building our small businesses and I don’t get a lot of support from him. So just in terms of where we are in life, this addition has been hardest on me. The kids are amazing and they all completely adore the baby. Plus I’m super confident in raising an infant now and don’t freak out when she does things like sample dog food or chew on the shower curtain.

@texan2 1 to 2 is the worst. I have 4. After 2 it's just about logistics. You're already thinking on your feet 24/7.

The immediate infant phase is exponentially harder with each kid. That part definitely gets worse with quantity. I've been awake for 10 years!

@texan2 I feel like 2-3 isn’t as bad as 1-2. Except the fact that the adults are outnumbered at that point. And then after 3, it felt like no big deal at all other than needing a bigger car.

@texan2 For us 0-1 was tough, 1-2 was easy, 2-3 was also really tough and 3-4 was easy. I think going to 3 was tough because my kids were 20 months and 3.5 when we had the third. Their closeness in age amplified the addition of another kid.

@dnzundah How old were they when you added your fourth? I had my third at the same ages as you (~19 months and 3.5). I thought we were for sure done, but now I'm second guessing.....

Back