When did u introduced toddler beds

@bchapman We did cribs until they were climbing out then converted them to toddler beds (we had cribs that could have one side removed to make it a bed.)

One of the twins kept climbing into the others bed at night and they would sleep bad so we got them a full size bed to share. Once they started complaining about waking each other up or stealing blankets we converted to a bunk bed and that's where we are now.

Use cribs as long as you can

@bchapman The weight limit on a crib is 50 lbs, height limit is 35”, or if they ATTEMPT to climb, whichever comes first. This is a ASTM guideline set for all safety tested cribs in the US. We transitioned at 16 months because they were trying to climb and I’ve seen too many kids with head injuries at work (I’m an ER NP) after falling out of a crib because they were too big for it. I had a 2.5 year old with a skull fracture we transferred to a peds trauma center after they fell out of their crib climbing out. It’s safer to do it sooner rather than later. Toddler beds also meet certain standards for safety—far safer for them to roll a foot onto the floor than a 4-5 drop onto the floor.

@bchapman i'd leave them in until it's no longer safe. i switched to toddler beds on a whim and it's been decent but they definitely leave their room way more than i'd like. if you have a pack n play or bassinet that'll buy you another 6 months or so without having to buy the crib.

@bchapman I did at a bit over a year old- our twins were climbing out of their cribs and into each others anyways. We got a twin bed and put it on the floor, and got a set of rails for around it.

@bchapman Mine turn 2 in a couple weeks and I'm prepping the room today. Their cribs are pushed together and one little lady has become a pro at swapping cribs. I'm worried the second is gonna monkey-see-monkey-do but go over the real edge instead, so their cribs are transitioning to toddler beds a fee days from now.

First I'm making sure their room is safe to navigate without supervision, cuz right now it is NOT, so i can't 100% transition yet.

@bchapman my twins started climbing out of their cribs at 21 months, so we moved them to toddler beds after---they shared a room. We ultimately had to screw the beds to the wall and secure the mattresses to the frames, once we did this they didn't have anything to rearrange or move I. their room, and they slept!

@bchapman Mine will be 3 in 2 weeks and they are still going strong in their cribs, a few legs might have attempted to go over but I’m holding out as long as possible, I know when we switch there will be chaos and not much sleep and more play time lol

@bchapman My kids started climbing out of their crib at 16 months so we did toddler beds with railings. I found out one day when I heard them laughing after they awoke from their nap and saw the two of them in the same crib 😂😂😂

@bchapman We tried to transition to baby beds around 2. They were still waking up periodically and crying because I wasn’t in the room when they woke up so I started having to sleep in the room with them. But since I needed a place to sleep I just dragged a full size bed in there and we all slept on that. So now they just sleep on the full size together.

So at this point the beds were a waste of money for me.

@bchapman it's funny because my oldest who was 5 at the time kept climbing into bed with me, so I stuck my Twin A (2.5 years old and starting to climb out of her crib) in bed with her and they happily slept together right through the night. Eventually my oldest started sleeping in the top bunk, while Twin A is in the bottom bunk, but sometimes they do sleep together as well. Twin B is in her own room and was 3.5 before we transitioned her to a toddler bed, which she is still in at 4 years old.

@bchapman We did it at 27 months. I was pregnant with their little sister and had needed major surgery to save her life, meaning I couldn't lift the twins any more. I also had HG. It was a move we had to make, but we have one low sleep needs twin and the shift to the toddler bed marked the permanent end of naps for him, which utterly wrecked his sister's sleep for months. Do not recommend.

@bchapman So we are crazy and have had both babies in floor cribs (open door) since they were about 6 months .. they are now 10 months and crawl out and play together on the floor during naps but they both are great sleepers at night. They usually keep to themselves and pass out in their own beds, I have yet to see them climb into each others beds and sleep like that. But they do crawl out onto the floor some nights and sleep next to each other. During naps half the time they get out and play with eachother or books/toys, then get tired and pass out on the carpet. I leave them be! Apparently they will learn that the bed is where they should sleep and learn to climb back in/stay there 🫣😛 at least we won’t need to deal with a big transition down the road

That was confusing the way I typed it- meant they go down fine and sleep well all night without bothering eachother, but naps have been hard!

@hunterfl Around 2. Before that we just had to make the last thing at night a room check to put back in bed if needed. Only once did my daughter fall asleep on the floor in front of the door and we struggled to get in. 🤷

@bchapman My twins now 6. Sleep... What's that, I can only describe it as imagine having a sleepover with your best friend every night. They slept great when in toddler beds, wishful thinking that it would last.

@bchapman We went to floor beds when they could threaten to climb out of their cribs. Given my dudes are 95th+ percentile for height we took down the crib earlier than average.

They were in the same room too. One would keep the other up. They were SO HAPPY to get their own room after a little bit because they got tired of their brother waking them up!

So if you ( reader, not just OP) want a smooth transition to two rooms, make them want it by letting them harass each other a bit.