What we don’t know

jacob1996

Everywhere I look there are lists for what is needed when the baby comes. But i was wondering if there are suggested things for the baby’s room that people suggest or that is easily forgotten as we plan for the bottles and cute clothes. Or any other pieces of advice for things they don’t tell you. My biggest fear is not knowing what I don’t know and that resulting in a disaster. Any help is appreciated. TIA!

@jacob1996 Don’t overdo it on clothes. I bought so many cute outfits because I was going to make sure he was dressed up every day. That didn’t happen. He spent the first few months in onesies and pajamas except for a party we attended for everyone to meet him. Plus they outgrow everything so fast or it gets stained and ruined.

Get a decent baby monitor. My mom kept pressuring me to put a baby monitor on my shower registry. I thought it was dumb because we have a small house so I’d be able to hear him from anywhere, but the scary thing is I can’t. When he’s in his room and we’re in ours we can barely hear him cry. To appease my mom I added the cheapest monitor I could find which someone bought. The battery sucks. It has to be plugged in at all times or it’ll die after like an hour. The sound isn’t great. I really regret not asking for a better quality one.

If you do have a shower and are going with disposable diapers I highly recommend doing a diaper raffle. We included a little card with the invite that said to bring a box of diapers or wipes in any size or brand and be entered for a prize. We gave away a wine basket. We didn’t have to buy any diapers until baby was like 7 months old and we still have over a whole case of wipes at 10 months.

Babies don’t need as much as you think they will, especially the first several months. We had so many toys and rattles and blankets and stuffed animals and like three different floor mats. It was crazy. He hardly used any of it. It took up so much space and it was a lot of wasted money.

This is more for you postpartum but don’t over do it. I watched so many videos on postpartum essentials and spent so much money that was completely wasted. The hospital either gave me so much I didn’t even use what I bought or I hated the products I bought. I made a ton of those padsicle things and I hated them. I wish I would’ve only made like 2-3 to start because I wasted almost an entire package of pads I could’ve used. So many people hated the peri bottle from the hospital so I bought the most recommended one but I hated that one and actually preferred the hospital one.

If you’re going to breastfeed/pump and it’s within your budget I’d get a pump that has a battery. I went through my insurance to get my pump so I didn’t have to pay outright for it. I had the option to upgrade and pay a little extra to get the pump with a battery, but I didn’t want to pay the money. It sucked having to be connected to the wall for 30 minutes multiple times a day. And when the power went out I had to use the hand pump which sucked even more.

The best advice I got was from my dad and it was that babies are more durable than people think. Every time I started to panic about if he was comfortable or what if this happens or what if I did that I’d just remember what he said and that always really helped me relax. It still does.

@jacob1996 I'm not sure if this is on the lists you've seen. However, having a night light for the middle of the night changing. You want it just bright enough to see but not to fully wake your little one up. Do a dry run to make sure all clothes, diapers, and little things are within easy sleepy parents' reach.

@jacob1996 Here are mine:
1. I've heard suggestions on layering the crib with multiple layers of mattress protector & bed sheets, so when baby has a blowout or throws up in the night, you just take off one layer of protector/sheet and clean sheets are already ready under it - which is especially helpful in the night when you're already sleep deprived. While I think it sounds super smart, my concern is that adding that much cushion is a safety concern since baby mattresses are meant to be firmer, to prevent SIDS.
  1. Decals above babies bed/crib. They can fall off (or get pulled off by babe) and suffocate the baby.
  2. If you have a dog, never assume because you have a "family friendly breed" that means there is no reason for concern between dog & baby. It is your responsibility to keep everyone safe, so there is no room for those assumptions.

@jacob1996 Don’t neglect yourself postpartum. Buy some soft, cozy lounge and/or nursing clothes and pumping bra (if you’re breastfeeding), a belly band, heating pad, nice disposable undies. It’s hard to find these things in plus sizes but I’ve had luck with Kindred Bravely, Latched Mama, Mamma Bump, and Rael. Sometimes you can catch good sales.

@jacob1996 If you are planning on nursing I recommend the pillow My Breast friend. The strap is adjustable, and it fits me at a size 22ish. I find this easier than side lying nursing.
Someone else mentioned not to over do it on clothes. I had some cute newborn outfits that he never wore but I needed more pajamas with hand coverings than I thought. (Unless you want to do laundry daily).
Some of the items I’ve used so far that are surprising- Another mom gifted me dirty diaper bag holder for travel (think doggie bag). I also got a set of washable pads for the changing table to prolong how often we wash the cover.

@jacob1996 I got something at my baby shower that wasn't necessarily a need but it's been SO nice to have. My aunt and cousins got me a super cute basket filled with various medicine cabinet type things. Tylenol, orajel, vaseline, gas drops, etc. It's been incredible to not have to run to the store every time I need something small like that.