What kind of carrier should I get?

virfortis

Hi! I’m 22 weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby. My other two are 1 and 2. I have the baby bjorn mini which is fine for when baby is a little bigger with head control. I also bought a used wildbird sling but haven’t used it before.
I know I don’t like wrap style carriers. I’m sure it was user error but they just never would stay and baby always seems uncomfortable.
Here are some things I think I want/about me…
I’m 5’7. I don’t have the best/strongest back.
I have big babies who grow very fast the first few months.
I don’t like overly structured bulky ones. The wildbird aerial looks like something I’d like but it’s expensive and wondering if there is a cheaper option that’s good.
I really just want to be able to be close to baby (and breast if possible) but also get some stuff done the first 5-6 months. After that I think I’m good with the bjorn or another one I have thats for when they get bigger.

@virfortis apron-style carrier seems to be what you're looking for; less bulk and structure. I also have big babies who stay on a big growth curve, and loved a ring sling for quite a long time before transitioning to a meh-dai style carrier that is (for me) the best middle ground between a woven wrap and a soft structured carrier.

@virfortis I have a Sakura Bloom Scout with leather straps, and it is absolutely gorgeous but I don't reach for it often because it's a little fiddly to put on in front-carry by yourself and really difficult to use for back carry unless you have a helper. It uses metal rings for closures instead of buckles.

HappyBaby OG is a very popular option, and the Hope & Plum Lark looks really good.

Also, have you considered a half-buckle? It has a padded waist band with a buckle, a back panel for baby to sit in, but wrap straps for the shoulder for more flexibility in carry styles. Didymos Didyklick and LennyLamb Hybrid are good options for this carrier style.