What kind of books to get a 7 year old niece?

trulyfaithful

I'm a first time Uncle (i'm only 33 XX), as my brother is dating someone real nice we both knew so long ago. (she now has kids, her ex, a scum, had left her after she had the kids >>) the youngest is 3 the oldest is 7. "Abby" the 7 year old as i hear from over the phone, the times they come to visit, and get told by both my brother and the one he's dating LOVES to read! she'll pull my brother aside to just read to him the most random of things.

given i see so many kids coming after my Generation (i was born in the mid 80's) not much into reading. i recently restored my old Kindle Keyboard 3rd gen for myself leaving my Last gen Kindle Fire unused. i had suggested to my brother and his Girlfriend (i guess proper term as he plans to officially propose in the mid summer.) as that i want to help really encourage and flourish this in Abby by giving her the Fire Tablet set it up with my brothers Amazon account, make a Profile on it just for abby (so we can lock it down so no purchases extra /unapproved downloads can be done w/o asking her parents) i just dont have a Huge stash of extra funds to get alot of Paperback/hardcover books (and going w/ a tablets a lil more durable than a fragile e-Ink screen reader)

i've had to .. help a friend watch for a few hours a young boy about that age but i have No experience in what to get a girl, what kind of books to pre-purchase and load onto it before giving it to her for her birthday in January

its a tad obvious im nervous, and i dont really know a good place to look for advice and hope this was a good subreddit to ask around,

@trulyfaithful This is a great gift! There are a lot of fantastic books for this age.
Any of the Ramona books by Judy Bloom, Amelia Bedelia series by Herman Parish, Junie B Jones series, The Magic Treehouse series, classics like Charlotte's Web.

If someone reads aloud with her regularly this was the age we started the Harry Potter series with my son. I would read a few pages and then have him read a page. Less than 2 years later we finished all 7 books, with him reading the last 3 nearly alone because he was able and he would take them to school, in the car, etc and read without me. We read the epilogue together and I have to admit I might have cried a little 😢

@trulyfaithful First of all, huge kudos to you for wanting to help! And for thinking of such thoughtful gifting.
I grew up Loving reading (and still do!). I am female if that helps, but my favorite book at that age was Stuart Little. I’m older than you now but if that tells you anything, I still remember that being my favorite book at her age.

@trulyfaithful My favorite books around that age were Junie B Jones but if that’s too easy than maybe a Series of Unfortunate Events? That might be fun for a parent to read to a child as well.

@trulyfaithful In addition to the other great book suggestions I would recommend Dork Diaries, Diary of a Wimpy Kid as well as the Mouse and the Motorcycle series.

Also Goodwill is a great place to find cheap kids books and the selection changes frequently.

Last I want to add that comics are great reading material for kids and can be purchased digitally. My Little Pony, Star Wars, Spongebob all have comics as well as countless other popular stories and shows. Not to mention the entire DC and Marvel and IDW books that are age appropriate.

@trulyfaithful 7 or so is right at the cusp of chapter books- captain underpants (series)- my kid is 8 and just finished The Series of Unfortunate Events.

I also recommend a good screen protector/ case- I am sure that the 7 yo will be gentle with her things but 3 year olds have no concept of "careful"

See if you can figure out how to work the library function at her local branch, a lot of public libraries have a way to lend digital books, you just have to figure out how to make it work.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, my brother and i had already planned as well in making use of Prime's library as well (but i doubt what prime itself isnt as large as im getting to see thru Free time has, so when i have the extra $$ every so often i'll try to help support my brother with months for the service as sadly my own situation isnt great.) makes me wonder if as well, the OverDrive for Android Application will work Well enough, so they can check out digital versions of books from thier local library for Abby.

i know it used to be a thing when the e-Ink Kindles were New, my local library even had readers you could check out for upto a few weeks at a time (some branches upto a full month but it carried a steep fee if you were late)

Given i maybe having to move from where i am in a handfull of months, i wanted to give the sweet lil thing something nice, while its not that i cant ever come back to the state as i can visit once in awhile, i just .. dont want to fall into being like one of my uncles in my childhood (too distant, somewhat too lax, not really memorable past some fleeting memories) and something like this that encourages one of her bigger hobbies should leave a long lasting impact even if i cant visit as often as i'd like to.