What do you class as sleeping through the night?

sass

My friend just said to me that her baby sleeps through the night with 2 night feeds. To me, sleeping through the night is not waking for a feed during their “bedtime” hours e.g. 7.30pm-7am

What’s your definition of sleeping through the night?

@fineandfaith What!!! So jealous 😂 My 7 month old just started doing long stretches. She sleeps 7.45pm-12am/1am feeds then up at 6am! At 3 months I saw every hour most nights 😭

@sass She is formula fed, so I don’t know if this changes things. But she’s on a 4 hour schedule during the day and then once she has her last bottle (start at 10pm ish) she goes down and doesn’t come back up until like 6:30. Very rarely earlier. Usual culprit is if her hands break out of the swaddle.

@fineandfaith My girl came out of her swaddle around 3 months because she kept breaking out of it 😂 I miss waking up to find her little Houdini hands poking out

@jocelyn1 Yeah 12-8 is pretty normal for my kiddo, occasionally get 12-10. He's slept through the night like that since he was 2 months or so. He's in the middle of a sleep regression and last night is was a "I will only contact nap on papa 20 minutes at a time and will otherwise scream" kinda night apparently😭

@instrument150 Not sure, to be honest I didn’t look too closely at the study design, just pulled it as an example of the parameters that researchers tend to use when defining ‘sleeping through the night’ in infant sleep research. Here’s another, there are lots I could have pulled!

@sass Officially, sleeping through the night means 6 consecutive hours of sleep, but I think most people mean they sleep from when they put their baby to bed until they wake up in the morning.

Her baby sleeps through the night with 2 night feeds.

Unless both feeds are dream feeds, that baby is not sleeping through the night.

@alliah I'm pretty sure medically sleeping through the night only refers to a single stretch of sleep then waking as usual for feeds. So if she puts baby down at 7pm, feeds at 1am and then at 4am and then gets up for the day at 7am that would be classed as sleeping through the night even with the two feeds.

@live4christ2016 Oh I get that totally, I was just talking about 'officially' since the comment acknowledged it could be a 6hr stretch, but then went on to say that the person in question couldn't be meeting that if her baby woke 2x to feed. I got the impression that she maybe thought that meant multiple stretches of 6+hrs, when really multiple wakings is totally normal.